DeLay: Justices just "don't get it"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Wow. Tom DeLay talking about people who "don't get it". If that isn't the definition of irony, I don't know what is.

The man obviously has no appreciation for or understanding of the constitutional role of the Supreme Court, which is to act as the buffer between the Constitution and the "tyrrany of the majority".

What a doofus. Not to mention that bit about the supposed war on Christianity. "Our faith has always been in direct conflict with the values of the world." Hmm. Sounds like something you'd hear from...oh, I don't know...Osama bin Laden.

Link

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The man is suffering from a serious case of soul rot.

3. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Oh, those poor, put-upon Christians. It must be tough living in a country with people who refuse to recognize their god's supreme law.

What if we gave them Kansas? They could rename it Kansistan and have theocratic rulers to guide their new country into the 12th century.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Perfect. Kansas doesn't even have any mountains where insurgents could hole up and plot an overthrow. The rebels would have to hide out in corn fields, which probably wouldn't work for long.

5. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

(goes out and buys a cropdusting plane, a la "North by Northwest")

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I love it! Kansistan. Can it be a theme park? Yes! Like Jurassic park! We could all get in armored tanks and ride through to watch their public executions of heathens and scientists. What fun! :)

But we just have to make sure that electric fence has plenty of voltage at all times. :)

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I like where he points out that there are 3 branches. Except no one is trying to overstep Congress (well, Bush seems to be), he's the one trying to say the Judges are irrelevant. Oh and Tom, as if you actually were a Christian and you weren't just using that as an excuse, people don't like Christians because of folks like you. ;) If you didn't try to force your screwed up "values" on the majority that are actually against you (and what does that tell you), which is the exact opposite of how this society was set up to work BTW, people wouldn't fight you so hard. Some of us share our belief systems by example, and some of us try to force their beliefs down other throats while not following those beliefs themselves. Guess which you are.

In case you didn't notice, I don't like that hypocritical thief at all.

8. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

If there is one thing that gets me angry is the lie of christian persecution in the US. We have a nation that is overwhelmingly religious and overwhelmingly christian. We have a government that is dominated in all three branches by a party that is tied at the hip with christian fundamentalists. Yet we are supposed to believe that some powerful entity or group of people are conspiring to stop christians from practicing their religion. This is phony fear-mongering on the part of far-right to engender a "onward, christian soldiers" type response from their voting base. It's a lie, that is repeated over and over, until people have accepted it as a reasonable interpretation of reality. The oldest propaganda trick in the book, but it still works.

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

relatedly, check out this mind-bender (quoted in it's entirety):

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I can't wait for Delay to be found guilty and removed from office. He talks about love? All I see is hate for anyone different from him.

11. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Could it be clearer. American Christians are being persecuted because the rest of us (most who also call themselves christians) haven't accepted their one true way. To want anything else is "unbridled liberty" that amounts to a "war on christ." Funny, it sounds like the goal is a theocracy of christian fundamentalists to me. How can one not compare them to the Taliban? Thanks, blackfox, great post. Depressing as hell but great.

12. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yet another demonstration of DeLay's (and Bauer's) cluelessness. They have no idea how much they sound like American versions of the Taliban.

Wow. :(

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Yet where was the draft dodging Delay during vietnam? hiding under a desk? throwing the religious right cape around you doesnt make you superman.

14. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

At the risk of veering discussion OT, the post I quoted shows both the pathetic and brilliant nature of these "Christians" position, not to mention a truckload of irony.

The brilliance, of course, is tactical and perhaps strategic - because in many ways people who think like this are being attacked - because their position is unreasonable, dangerous and antithetical to the very concept of Liberty. By using Christian concepts and ideals as cover, they can turn any attack on their true values into an attack on those values. Classic wolf-in-sheeps-clothing.

The pathetic and ironic nature of their position is also clear. It is mostly pathetic because ultimately their position survives on fear, which pretty much implies that their position could not stand on it's own merits. It is manipulative, reactionary and vindictive - but empty. The obvious irony at play here is that in their attempts to "save America and it's way of life" they are directly contributing to it's destruction.

The comment from the article that you quoted Sayhey, points directly to this - they are against the very concept of Liberty. To say nothing of diversity, and constitutional freedoms. They are against the very concept of choice and free-will. Talk about ironic.

Again, it must come down to fear. They fear that on a level-playing field, their position would lose to other ideas.

The funny thing is, whether their concern about Christianity is losing ground in America is true or not, the real argument is based upon free-will. A person chooses whether to embrace Christian values or some others. It is these choices that give those values, people and communities meaning, depth and strength. To deny that choice to people is to deny our humanity.

To be clear, this is not a quest to make us a Nation of Christians, it is to make us a Nation of slaves.

15. aquajet macrumors 68020

Mind-bender? More like stomach-bender. Vomit.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

17. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

From the article:
    Then I don't apologize for treating you like a bigoted horse's ass.

I also like how he implies that because I don't hold Christian priciples supreme, therefore I have no principles at all, or that mine aren't as valid.

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Anyone can call themselves Christians, but the real ones don't have to talk about it. They show it. It amazes me that so many people still get fooled by the talk, unless of course they aren't actually being fooled and go willingly with the hate. Makes it even easier for the power hungry to use them to get what they want as they're willing participants instead of mindless sheep.

Unfortunately (for them), this is beginning to backfire as there actually is a backlash looming because of the extremists like him who take things too far.

19. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I have found that the ones beating their chest saying look at me iam a christian are the ones to watch out for. Delay is no different.

20. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

You know what, I despise Tom DeLay. He is just such a stupid, ignorant person. War on Christianity? How the hell do you think the Jews have felt for like... oh... eternity?

But of course, his religion SHOULD be the one that rules the world. I mean, otherwise, we're all damned to hell. Right?

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

More fun for that bastion of morality and his crew: