DeLay quits

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Congressman Tom DeLay, the former House Minority Leader, who is embroiled in scandal has quit his House race and will retire effective within a few months.
    NYTimes

2. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Am I right to look at this as falling upon one's sword?

Or was he pushed?

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Please tell me it's not still April Fools. I just can't find the words (nor the emoticon) to express the joy I feel. I believe it's called shadenfraude. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

What do you want to bet he talks about God in his concession speeches?

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No kidding. You'd win that bet.

Too bad it's only Monday- I want some celebratory champagne! :D

7. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

God Bless the poor soul.
    Let's all cry for ol' Tom.:(
    And then let's go get us some Bud!
    Ok, ok, not so creative or funny, but I wanted some alternative to just:
    ":D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D"

Got the email from Truthout about 10min. ago.... happiness.

8. aquajet macrumors 68020

Oh, he most certainly will. And I'm certain he'll go for the martyrdom angle too.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I was going to say something along the lines of "praise the Lord, thank you Jesus", but felt the irony might be lost on some. :D

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

gee, i guess it would be too much to ask for him to go away forever.

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

So, he must be pretty certain that he's going to be found guilty.

This is great news for Texas but I'll bet it's bad for the US. There's nothing worse than a rabid religious, nutjob foaming at the mouth. I'm sure he'll be embarrassing us all before long.

12. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

"Mr. DeLay 'vowed to pursue an aggressive speaking and organizing campaign aimed at promoting foster care, Republican candidates and a closer connection between religion and government.'"

Oh Goody. I like that someone charged with so many criminal offenses wants a closer connection between religion and government. :rolleyes:

e

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Glad he's gone only this former draft dodger who helped us into Iraq will now be a lobbiest. And so scum continue to infest our republican ran govt. Infested by crooks,liars and cheats & lobbiest. What happen to the American people?

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Does that mean he's going to be "lobbier" than other people? ;)

No, seriously, I know what you meant...and I agree. To me, this is a good news/bad news scenario. The nut is gone from Congress (presumably for good)...but yes, he'll become a lobbyist...possibly even for some big corporations. And with his powerful connections, I'm sure he can still help the Republican party a lot either from behind the scenes (such as raising money) or from out front (as a motivational speaker and critic -- basically what Al Gore is doing now).

Who knows? It wouldn't even surprise me if he got hired next week as the latest "expert correspondent" on Fox News.

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I think the only reason he isnt running is because the whole party would be hurt if this darftdodging scumdog ran again. It would polarize folks. Better not to have his draft dodging scum face in front of the camera if you know what i mean. So now his mug will be roaming the halls of congress buying bribes.

16. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Actually, since he's retiring before his term is out, the Republicans get to appoint his successor, thus securing his seat rather than losing it to the democrats in November, at least according to NPR this morning.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes, the governor gets to fill the seat or hold a special election. If only because DeLay had already run in, and won, the Republican primary, I suspect that an appointment will be made.

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

wait, are you guys saying there will probably be no election in november for that seat?

19. emw macrumors G4

emw

I don't think it actually secures his seat - there will still be an election in November that will decide the outcome. However, I believe the thought was that if DeLay runs, it becomes an issue of his corruption vs. letting another "clean" Republican run against the Democrats.

If it's true that a resigning senator can simply "give" his seat for an additional term to a named same-party successor, I'd think we see that type of thing all the time.

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

None of the articles I've read so far on this say, but I thought I heard on NRP this morning that Gov. Rick Perry has the option to fill DeLay's unexpired term, hold a special election, or wait until the next general election. But I was still half asleep, so take it as you will. Maybe I dreamed the entire thing about DeLay resigning. Tell me that's not true!

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

No, you were mixing up your stories in your sleep.

Actually, Dick Cheney shot Tom DeLay. :D

22. emw macrumors G4

emw

No, he resigned. Unfortunately Bush just pardoned him and made him the ambassador to Iran. He's headed over there tomorrow to begin convincing them to follow the one true God.

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well then, one way or another, we won't be seeing him again!

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hmm... sounds like someone hears the footfalls of The Law coming after him.

Plus I love how self-professed Christians are flocking to the defense of a man on the edge of serving time in jail for corruption. I think that's why Jesus went to the temple, wasn't it?