Delete admin account?

Discussion in 'OS X' started by mrpaperknife, Apr 24, 2005.

1. macrumors member

Hi,
    I just bought a powerbook so I'm selling my iBook to my girlfriend. She has acctually been using the iBook for the last six months so all her documents and setting are on the iBook and she's pretty reluctant to change or start over.
    My question is: Is it possible to delete my admin account from the iBook? I know i can just back up her stuff and reinstall the os, but she is supicious of back ups from her days as a windows user.
    Thanks,
    James

2. macrumors 68000

mklos

There has to be at least 1 administrator account in Mac OS X. That being said, you can just create a new account for her, transfer her stuff from the old account to the new account and then delete the old administrator account.

Oh...and tell her that Backups are safe with OS X! :D

3. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks,
    Now, maybe this is a silly question. I know how to create a new "Standard" account but how do I create a second admin account?

4. macrumors regular

Make a new standard account then go to Allow this user to administer computer when logged in as an admin.

5. macrumors regular

It's easy. I just did this for my ex.

In System Preferences go to the accounts pane and click the little '+' button at the bottom. Set it up as your girlfreind's account. Then go to the 'Security' tab and click the check box for 'Allow user to administer this computer' Then backup all your stuff, log into her account, go to the account pane, select your account and hit '-'. Your account will be deleted, leaving her as the sole admin user.

6. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone
    I just figured it out. It was alot easier than I thought it would be. I guess I just needed to look a little closer. One check box. Thanks again!