delete all photo's

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fjs08, Feb 25, 2007.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Hi,

My son in law has my old Powerbook. If he wants to get rid of all the photos from iPhoto, can he just drag the iPhoto Library folder to the trash?? If he goes to insert new photos will another iPhoto Library folder be created??

Or should he keep the folder and just get rid of everything IN the iPhoto Library folder??

Thanks.

Frank

2. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

If you delete/rename the iPhoto Library folder, then the next time iPhoto launches it will prompt you to create a library or choose a different library location.

If, however, you delete everything inside the iPhoto Library -- just keeping an empty iPhoto Library folder in ~/Pictures -- it will launch with a blank Library and create its supporting files. They both do the same thing, so it doesn't really matter which you choose to do.

As a possible alternative please note that you can simply create and switch between libraries by holding down the option key as it launches.

3. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>As a possible alternative please note that you can simply create and switch between libraries by holding down the option key as it launches.<<

Humm. OSX never ceases to amaze me!!!!!!

Are there any other items that, that kind of action works for, such as iTunes or iCal???

Thanks.

Frank

4. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Frank,

I just heard a podcast (sri, I can't remember which one) that mentioned doing the same with your iTunes library, for use on your laptop while traveling. You can keep your primary iTunes library on an external hrd drive, then create a smaller one for your laptop, and use the Option key to choose between the two while starting up iTunes.

I keep my iTunes library on an external hard drive, but also take it with me while I travel, so I don't have to worry about that procedure. I just have to remember to start up the external hard drive before I crank up iTunes :D

:apple: HawaiiMacAddict