Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tammster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA
Seems I can't turn off burst mode so I'm wondering how to delete all of the extra shots I keep taking by accident. A few shots I took like 30 before I realized it.

Reactions: ohialani

mjcxp

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Just select the ones you want as favorites and delete the burst mode picture.

khsc hmidt

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2016
Oceanside, CA
If you click edit favorites you can check the pics you like. It will copy them out of the stack, then delete the burst stack.
Just select the ones you want as favorites and delete the burst mode picture.
A more straightforward method (on the Mac): Double click the burst. Make your selection. Click the selected photo (a blue check mark appears). Click "done". In the window that pops up, select "keep only selection".

Reactions: Newtons Apple

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
How do I "edit Favorites?" I looked everywhere but keep not seeing it... I am on imac.

I would give a lot to be able to turn off burst mode.

How much???

Well, burst mode can't be disabled. Just get in the habit of taking your finger off the shutter after you click.

But in terms of editing burst images on Mac?

Photos automatically creates a Bursts album (forget about Favorites, since you probably want to trash the non-favorites as well - besides, the only way to "edit" Favorites is to un-favorite an image by tapping the heart icon).

Go into the Bursts album, and open (double-click) an image. You should see Make a Selection... in the upper left of the image. Click it.

Below the image, you should see a series of thumbnails representing all the images in the burst. You can click those thumbnails to navigate through the burst images.

In the lower right of each image is a circle (check-box) - check those images you want to save.

When you've selected whatever images you want from the burst, click Done in the upper right. You will then get a popup "Would you like to keep the other X photos in this burst?" "Keep Only Selection/Keep Everything."

Last edited:

beernut

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2016
get in the habit of using the volume buttons to take the pic. you're a lot less likely to hold them down as they're physical buttons.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Apfel, excellent tutorial! I just used your step-by-step directions to trim down the collection of inadvertent Burst Mode photos.

While I probably didn't save all that much space, at least it cleaned up my Photos Library a tad!

kidologist

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2009
Below the image, you should see a series of thumbnails representing all the images in the burst. You can click those thumbnails to navigate through the burst images.

In the lower right of each image is a circle (check-box) - check those images you want to save.

When you've selected whatever images you want from the burst, click Done in the upper right. You will then get a popup "Would you like to keep the other X photos in this burst?" "Keep Only Selection/Keep Everything."

I am searching this, because Photos does NOT do this... I click Make a Selection, click only the one I want, and make sure the others are NOT checked, but when you hit done, nothing happens. The bursts are all still there.

Is this a bug? So annoying to not be able to remove unwanted bursts - works on phone, but not on Mac.

Thanks for any help.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
It is very annoying to not be able to take a single shot without hitting, and jarring the phone. I was so used to holding and releasing the button to gently take a shot. I hate having to punch and shake the camera. This was not thought out really well. :(

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I am searching this, because Photos does NOT do this... I click Make a Selection, click only the one I want, and make sure the others are NOT checked, but when you hit done, nothing happens. The bursts are all still there.

Is this a bug? So annoying to not be able to remove unwanted bursts - works on phone, but not on Mac.

Thanks for any help.

Can't de-bug from this distance, but it works the way I described on my iMac, running Sierra 10.12.3 (just tried it again). When I click "Done" in the upper left I get a dialog box "Would you like to keep the other photo(s) in this burst?"

If you haven't restarted your Mac, try doing that. Try starting in Safe Mode, see if it works properly then (perhaps a startup item that's disabled by Safe Mode is blocking the dialog box).

doyles

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2017
Can't de-bug from this distance, but it works the way I described on my iMac, running Sierra 10.12.3 (just tried it again). When I click "Done" in the upper left I get a dialog box "Would you like to keep the other photo(s) in this burst?"

If you haven't restarted your Mac, try doing that. Try starting in Safe Mode, see if it works properly then (perhaps a startup item that's disabled by Safe Mode is blocking the dialog box).

Hi--I found this very frustrating, too! Same experience. Here is what started to work for me. In the left-hand menu bar, there is a special folder called "Bursts". Once I had selected one photo, with its blue check mark, and said "done", it did NOT give me the option just to keep that one. (I think that once you do it once, it never asks you again.)

However, under the image menu, at the bottom, it says, "delete one burst". Select it. It will say, delete burst but keep favorite? I agreed--and it kept the photo I wanted.

Hope this helps!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I guess , no matter delete photos from Andrid phone ,iOS device , or Mac , the delete principle is the same, the result is the same , first , make sure the photos are backed up to a computer and or to SmugMug, then uninstall the app and reinstall. When the app is uninstalled the images are deleted as well. Then in the backed up copy of the files on SmugMug and/or on your computer you can delete the unwanted pictures there.
Uninstall and reinstall what app? What does this have to do with managing burst photos?

chilman

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
When you set on the timer, it will automatically take the burst shot, this frustrate me too. My selfie stick doesn't have the shot button, so i must set the timer on, and you can't get away without activating the burst mode on. I can manage taking single shot when I press once with my finger, not if it is on timer, try it so you'll know what I mean. And deleting all the other 9 is such a hassle.

Cazaly

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2017
For those trying to edit a burst on a Mac, you have to (1) select the burst, and click on “Make a selection” appears in the top right corner of the photo; (2) choose your preferred photo and click in the circle that appears in the bottom right corner of the photo (which produces a tick); (3) Click “Done” in the top right corner of the window. You should then get the “Would you like to keep the other X photos in this burst” dialog box.

GCB_1951

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2017
For those trying to edit a burst on a Mac, you have to (1) select the burst, and click on “Make a selection” appears in the top right corner of the photo; (2) choose your preferred photo and click in the circle that appears in the bottom right corner of the photo (which produces a tick); (3) Click “Done” in the top right corner of the window. You should then get the “Would you like to keep the other X photos in this burst” dialog box.
Thank You so much! Finally. That little circle in bottom right corner isn't that noticeable .

SLKisling

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2017
Hi--I found this very frustrating, too! Same experience. Here is what started to work for me. In the left-hand menu bar, there is a special folder called "Bursts". Once I had selected one photo, with its blue check mark, and said "done", it did NOT give me the option just to keep that one. (I think that once you do it once, it never asks you again.)

However, under the image menu, at the bottom, it says, "delete one burst". Select it. It will say, delete burst but keep favorite? I agreed--and it kept the photo I wanted.

Hope this helps!
Thanks! You just saved me several hours of work and immeasurable amounts of frustration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.