Delete Help Please

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by illegal amigo, Aug 2, 2005.

1. illegal amigo macrumors member

Hi, I just switched today and was wondering how to delete to the right of the cursor. There's the backspace/delete key in the top right, but that deletes from right to left. I'm looking for a way to delete from left to right like the Windows delete key. If possible, I wouldn't mind remapping this second enter button (to the left of the arrow keys) as a left-to-right-delete subsitute. Is this possible? I hope I was clear.

Thanks.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You're on an iBook, right? Try typing FN-DELETE where FN is the key in the bottom left hand corner.

On Apple desktops there is a specific FORWARD-DELETE key under the HELP key. :)

3. illegal amigo thread starter macrumors member

Perfect! Thank you, that was exactly what I was looking for. I think I'm going to get a USB keyboard for my desk. While there's nothing wrong with the iBook keyboard, I just think I'd prefer the permanency of a seperate keyboard. Thanks again!

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No problems. I've had an iBook for about two years now and to be honest, I'm finding it hard to go back to normal keyboards. I'm used to typing really lightly.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i had been using my Powerbook keyboard for a looooong time and i found that i missed the clicks it made while typing, now at least im used to switching between my BT KB and PB KB whenever i have too..... full size works better for me though, gotta love the num pad

6. illegal amigo thread starter macrumors member

Actually, does anyone know how to remap keys on the iBook? I checked Google but it just led me to some vague instructions. If I could make the enter key to the left of the arrows a forward delete, my day would be made.

7. After G macrumors 68000

After G

try looking at this page

http://www.snark.de/index.cgi/0007

*edit*
    after reading it, it may not work on the current 'Books. But I didn't read closely enough to find out, and you may find it works for you. Still, I am not sure I would try it. Good thing the pref pane in Tiger does the mapping I want for me (caps lock to no action). Good luck!