Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nature girl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2004
Is there such a thing as a delete (as in the delete key on the pc) rather than a backspace on a mac?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Yes. Apple's desktop keyboards have two keys called "Delete" which often serve different functions. Many high-end applications take advantage of both of these keys.

(Well, technically one is "delete" and one is "del" and a little symbol with an x.. but they're both called delete)

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
or, if you are on an Apple notebook, you can press fn+delete, and it will do the same function of a PC's DEL key.

Lee Tom

Natalia81

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2004
I had the same question too. Thanks for the answer. I will try it later (not at my PB).

Xenious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Texas, USA
on an apple keyboard if you hilight a file in Finder and hit delete does it delete the file? I've got an MS Natural keyboard hooked up to mine and hilighting a file in Finder and hitting delete has no function whatsoever.
-jim

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Doesn't pressing 'delete' (the one by 'end') keep the cursor in place but delete everything after it so all the stuff after it comes to the cursor and deletes.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Santiago said:
No, that key only deletes the character to the right of the insertion point; this is why it sometimes referred to as "frontspace", by analogy with "backspace".

Are you sure? Because I just did it right now. I think I worded my first post wrong.

Example: deleting | <<<<ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP

The ABCs would go towards the "|" and delete as they touch it.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Delete removes the character to the left of the insertion point, and 'forward delete' (aka 'del') removes the character to the right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.