delete key?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by nature girl, Oct 18, 2004.

1. nature girl macrumors newbie

Is there such a thing as a delete (as in the delete key on the pc) rather than a backspace on a mac?

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Yes. Apple's desktop keyboards have two keys called "Delete" which often serve different functions. Many high-end applications take advantage of both of these keys.

(Well, technically one is "delete" and one is "del" and a little symbol with an x.. but they're both called delete)

3. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

or, if you are on an Apple notebook, you can press fn+delete, and it will do the same function of a PC's DEL key.

Lee Tom

4. Natalia81 macrumors regular

I had the same question too. Thanks for the answer. I will try it later (not at my PB).

5. Xenious macrumors 6502a

on an apple keyboard if you hilight a file in Finder and hit delete does it delete the file? I've got an MS Natural keyboard hooked up to mine and hilighting a file in Finder and hitting delete has no function whatsoever.
    -jim

6. Santiago macrumors regular

To send a file to the trash, press Command-Delete, as indicated by the File > Move To Trash menu command.

7. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Doesn't pressing 'delete' (the one by 'end') keep the cursor in place but delete everything after it so all the stuff after it comes to the cursor and deletes.

8. Santiago macrumors regular

No, that key only deletes the character to the right of the insertion point; this is why it sometimes referred to as "frontspace", by analogy with "backspace".

9. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Are you sure? Because I just did it right now. I think I worded my first post wrong.

Example: deleting | <<<<ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP

The ABCs would go towards the "|" and delete as they touch it.

10. Santiago macrumors regular

Well, like any key, if you hold it down, it repeats. Pressing it once deletes the next character.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Delete removes the character to the left of the insertion point, and 'forward delete' (aka 'del') removes the character to the right.