Delete OS9

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Eckslusive, May 16, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502

I just installed OSX and I know I wont need OS9 on my computer. To delete OS9, do I just place the System 9 into the trash?

2. macrumors 65816

Re: Delete OS9

Well, I don't use OS 9 at all unless there is an error with a drive and I use Norton.

Deleting the OS 9 system folder would just delete the system files (duh) but if (for some reason) you tried to start up in 9 it wouldn't be pretty.

I don't recommend it but it's not my computer, ask a pro...

3. macrumors regular

my question is why don't you just leave 9 on the computer? Never know when you might need it in an emergency and takes up relatively little space on the humongo hard drives that come with macs these days.

4. macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I agree with cmillererau. Unless you really need the little bit of HD space that OS 9 is using, just leave it be....it still comes in handy for running some utils and you never know when you might come across some stupid old file/app that needs it....oh yeah!

5. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

personally if you don't need to use classic i see no reason to keep it on your system. Deleting the System Folder will get rid of the OS, you also need to trash your OS 9 Applications.

Other than that, there are occasional invisible files here and there, but nothing serious-- that's the bulk of OS 9.

:)
    pnw