Delete previous system?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Saluki Alex, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Saluki Alex macrumors 6502

Ok, here's my situation. After I updated to OSX 10.4.8, my MBP started making the whine again, it has always done it even after getting the logic board replaced twice, albeit it's much softer than it was. Nevertheless, I'd taken care of the issue by using the PhotoBooth trick, but since all the the updates, I keep having to reinstall the IOUSB Family to keep the trick working. Anyway, after I updated OSX and the noise came back, I went to reinstall the old IOUSB and I installed the wrong one, so then my keyboard, trackpad, and mouse would not work anymore. I used the install disc and installed 10.4.6 but it kept my previous system and said that it would revert back to all previous settings when I updated the latest version of OSX. My question is, when I update to 10.4.8, will I my keyboard, trackpad, and mouse stop working because of my mistake with IOUSB, and if that's the case, can I just delete the "Previous Systems" folder before I update OSX?

2. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I think you're going to have to erase the HD if you want to get rid of the old OS and do a clean install. That's what I always do anyway. :p

3. Saluki Alex thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not sure that I fully explained myself in the first post. My computer is working fine right now, but when I did a restore to 10.4.6, it kept my previous system settings so that, when I update to 10.4.8, it will restore the settings I had the last time I had 10.4.8 installed. I'm concerned that it saved the USB information that wouldn't allow my keyboard, trackpad, and mouse to work.

There is a folder under "Macintosh HD" that say's "Previous Systems," if I were to delete that folder, would I eliminate a problematic update to 10.4.8, or would I create more problems for myself?

4. Saluki Alex thread starter macrumors 6502

Would it be more applicable to post this question on the Apple Support website or call Applecare?