Delete unnecessary OS X files

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by noel4r, Aug 15, 2004.

1. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002
    Los Angeles
    hello, i've got a 12" iBook w/ a 30 gig HD, right now I've used about 18 gig (w/o music). which unnecessary files such as language files or OS 9 files can I delete so I can have more hd space? i have panther installed.
  2. yippy macrumors 68020

Mar 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    you can delete an unesesary printer drivers from Hard Drive:Library:printers. The standard install has a couple hundred megabytes of them and you only need about 10 for the printer you use.

You can also go to and get DeLocalizer to remove all unesesary localization resourses (other languages). It does not officialy support Panther, but I ran it with no problems on my Panther machine.
  3. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

Apr 28, 2004
    you could just do a fresh install and remove all of the languages, other crap you don't want before it's installed. don't go about deleting random stuff, you'll screw something up. DeLocalizer is also an option. Use OnyX or something else to clean your caches, etc. Delete all of the Apps you don't use (OmniGraffle, etc).
  4. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    Another good way to get rid of files is to use Omni Disk Sweeper and go through your hard drive deciding what to delete.
  5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    You likely do not have GarageBand or XCode installed, but if you do you could save a lot of HD space by removing them if you don't use them.