Deleted entire My Doc folder. HELP!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by steve jr., Dec 5, 2006.

1. steve jr. macrumors 6502

Jul 4, 2005
    Akron, OH
    Ok. I was doing sometimg on my MBP and I accidentally deleted the entire my documents folder and emptied the trash without knowing it was in there. is there any way i can get it back?! PLEASE!!!!

2. steve jr. thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 4, 2005
    Akron, OH
    never mind. i did a search and i'm basically screwed. this is officially ONE THING i MISS about windows, you CAN'T DELETE YOUR DOCUMENTS FOLDER (as easily)!
  3. xappeal macrumors regular

Dec 9, 2005
    Brisbane - Australia
    You're not screwed, check out this link:

The program is amazing, i recovered 34gig of data once with this

just make sure you don't read or write too much to your drive in between now and when you run the program.

you will need an external drive to write the information to.

good luck
  4. tech4all macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004
    Actually steve jr. should turn off the computer now. The longer it's left on, the less of chance you have to recover any files; at least that's what I read on the forum.:)
  5. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Mar 3, 2006
    Not at the beach...
    Just wait for Leopard to come out. Then use Time Machine to revers you mistake.
    Though I may be overestimating Time Machines space time powers....
  6. steve jr. thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 4, 2005
    Akron, OH

THANK YOU! while some damage was already done by me having restarted, spotlighted everything I could think of, and then running the app, some of the files were gone with the wind. and another thing that made it difficult was with the demo version they only allow you to recover files 5MB or smaller. thankfully, i had most of what I lost backed up.

Unorthodox, i can't wait for time machine, but i think this would have been an impossible task for even the greatest time space explorer.

thanks to all for help and suggestions. just goes to show, BACK UP YOUR STUFF!
  7. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Feb 23, 2006
    I think one of the things that needs to be re-learned is the whole idea behind the trash.

It's the first safety net, so that what you delete is not immediately deleted and changes are not set in stone. Most people now rush through the whole deleting process and empty the trash right away to squeeze a few more MB from their disk.

Heck, my trash sits full for days before I get around to emptying it
  8. numlock macrumors 68000

Mar 13, 2006
    i had something similar happen to me except it was the movies folder and deleted with an automator plugin. I was wondering where are all the orginal icons kept. I need the movies icon back
  9. emptyCup macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2005
    Don't wait for time machine, learn to backup now. Computers are educational: sooner or later they will teach you to backup.

BTW how did you delete your entire Documents folder? I would be surprised if you dragged it to the Trash and then emptied the Trash. Did the "something" you were doing involve the command line?
  10. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    Data Rescue is brilliant software, and should be in every Mac System Admin's arsenal. :cool:
  11. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Mar 18, 2006
    Very sensible advice! Get yourself an external HD and back up everything at least on a weekly basis. If you ever have a hard drive go down (as I have!) you'll know how it feels to lose everything - and you won't want it to happen again!!