Deleted file in Windows, will no longer boot.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by notredewey, Jan 27, 2007.

1. notredewey macrumors member

notredewey

Hey everyone. This past week I was going through the windows folder on the mac side of my computer. I went through and deleted somethings I thought I didn't need to save some space. As it turns out, I deleted something I shouldn't have (go figure) and now Windows will no longer boot up. It lists the error as not being able to find C:/windows roots\system32\hal.dll. Then says something like please reinstall this file. Now my question is..how do I go about doing this? I stuck in the Windows XP install disk and they do have a repair option, but it is way to confusing for me. Any suggestions? Or do I have to reinstall all together? Thanks.

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I assume that you are running Windows via BootCamp.

It will depend on what you deleted.

You can copy the file that's missing to the appropriate place. However, there might be more critical files missing than just the first one that it lists. So you will receive a new error message after you replace that file.

The easy way for you may just be to reinstall Windows. Before doing so, be sure to back up any files that you created within Windows that you want to save.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you can't understand the Windows repair options, I'd agree too. It sounds like you have a FAT32 disk, since you're deleting files from inside OS X? Just copy over the files that you need -- docs etc -- and then re-install. And don't do it again! ;)

4. notredewey thread starter macrumors member

notredewey

If I were to reinstall it would my settings and so forth still be intact with a new install? By the way yes I am running Bootcamp, and have a FAT32 format. Sushi, do you know where to find that file I am missing and/or where to place it that would be the correct place? I feel I should probably try this step before reinstalling all together. Thanks.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No, as far as I know, if you reinstall, you'll lose everything on the Windows side. Erm... have you tried googling for the name of that dll? Maybe someone else did this before.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I've attached the file. It's zipped.

Place it in the following folder:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\

So when finished it will be:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\HAL.DLL

Again, unless you are used to mucking around in Windows, it will probably be easier to just reinstall Windows.

Attached Files:

7. dunawaydk macrumors newbie

I would start by following Method #2 as described in:

How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

Be aware that if you have installed IE7, you may need to also uninstall/reinistall afterwards...

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964

8. notredewey thread starter macrumors member

notredewey

Thanks everyone. I'll give it a shot in the morning, and let you know how it works out.

9. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

By the way, you can reinstall Windows on top of itself and you won't lose your applications and their preferences. The Windows installer is fairly smart and generally replaces only missing or corrupted files.

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Good info.

However, for most I think that it is easier just to do a new install as other problems can arise when using the steps above.

YMMV.

11. notredewey thread starter macrumors member

notredewey

Thanks for posting
    "How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP" However, I can't even get into windows, thats my problem. The instructions say to go to start.... I am not able to do that. Sushi, thanks for zipping that file, I placed it in the correct folder, but I still got the same error message when trying to boot windows. Topgunn, how do I do another install to save my prefs and apps like you suggest? Thanks.

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

The problem with Windows, is that for some files it expects them to be at a certain location on your HD. And if they aren't, Windows can't find them.

I would say that your best option at this point in time would be to do a new install. Then try to back up the FAT32 partition.

FYI, I am working on finding a good way to do that. CCC and SuperDuper will not work. Nor does Disk Utility Restore function work -- although it's close. After Restoring, it gives some errors but the install will work.

I am looking at trying Ghost and Drive Image to see if either will work like they do for me on a regular PC.

BTW, I've Email both the CCC and the SuperDuper folks. The SuperDuper folks politely indicated that they will not include that function and to look at PC alternatives. The CCC folks indicated that they are looking at adding that feature down the line.

13. notredewey thread starter macrumors member

notredewey

Thanks sushi for your time. I'll hold off on doing any reinstalling for now. I'm not really in that big of rush to get it back and running, I would rather have my settings/apps/etc. still intact when it's all said and done. Keep me posted.

14. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Do you have a mac pro with more then one hard drive by any chance? Is hal.dll actually in that location? It may actually still be there...but thats a whole other problem...I can't even get XP to boot. Tried many re-installs I have almost given up. I know what I need to do to fix it(edit the boot.ini) but i just can't find a way to edit the boot.ini...windows error messages aren't always what they mean.

15. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

Just do a repair installation. You should not lose any files or installed programs, but there are no gaurantees. You will have to reinstall any updates, such as: Windows Updates, IE7, WMP10/11, etc.

Here are instructions on how to do a repair installation. DO NOT USE THE REPAIR CONSOLE!
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

For anyone who is interested...

I have tried backing up a Boot Camp partition the following ways with no luck:

A. Using Disk Utilities. Comes the closest but there are error messages generated each time you boot Windows.

B. Using Drive Image 7. Won't boot after restoring image.

C. Ghost 2003. Will not back up the Boot Camp partition. Seems there is a MBR (Main Boot Record) issue that will not let it boot.

D. SuperDuper. Does not support other than Mac OS type partitions.

E. CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner). Same as SuperDuper.

Has anybody had success at backing up and then restoring a Windows installation on a Boot Camp partition? Please. Anybody.

17. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

How about using dd?

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Have you tried this method? Does it work?

19. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

20. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I was hoping you would ;)

I could give it a try, but my usual backup strategy is to only backup my user account folder since I can always reinstall Windows and software.

Maybe when I switch to Parallels, I can try it.

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I am getting tired of installing Windows. :(

I was hoping you would try this time! :D

Oh come on, you can give it a try! ;)

The problem with using parallels, is that you can't really test out Boot Camp restoration.

As far was backing up Parallels, it is a piece of cake. Just duplicate your HD image file via the Finder. :)

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Any suggestion on the dd command to use?

23. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Get your disk id for your windows partition by right clicking it in Disk Utility and select information. In the example below, my id is disk0s3

Then I would try something like
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/disk0s3 of=/Volumes/Backup/WindowsBackup02032007.dmg
    if is the path of the input "file" -in this case our Windows partition
    of is the path of the output image

Obviously, make sure whatever you are writing to as a backup has enough space to cover the entire Windows partition size. Also, I'd expect this to take a while.

Good Luck

24. ddekker macrumors regular

deleting files

I'm always confused when people delete files to "save space" being as the file deleted was very small. I have a friend that was the king of "cleaning up" his PC and had constant problems, I don't do squat on my windows machines and they all run like a champ (as do my apples) so I'm guessing you'll end up doing a freash install and reloading your programs, chalk one up to learning...

DD

25. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Appreciate the feedback.

I used "df -k" to get the volume info.

Then tried a variety of iterations of the dd command similar to your syntax but could not get dd to work. :(

But all is not lost. I have now successfully backed up a Boot Camp partition, deleted the partition, then recreated the partition and restored the files.

Finally after about a zillion reinstalls of Windows!

The method that I used worked fairly well. In brief:
    - Back up the Boot Camp partition using Disk Utilities.
    - Deleted and create the Boot Camp partition.
    - Boot off of your Windows XP SP2 CD.
    - Complete the install up to the point where Windows restarts the first time.
    - Press the OPTION key to boot into your Mac partition.
    - Copy files from your back up to the Windows partition (4 key files first).
    - Eliminate the NotePad issue.

And viola, you are done! :)

Here are the two web sites that I used:

Site A

Site B

I will be trying it out again this week. Seems to work okay. The key is to use FAT32 and not NTFS.

Also, in my searches I found another possibility that I will try in the near future:

NetRestore

NetRestore looks very promising.