Deleted iTunes - quite by mistake...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ashapalan, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

I'm having a slight panic attack at the moment, i'll go through everything as detailed as possible.

I copied the iTunes icon onto my desktop to see if i could launch it from there. I did this because im curious. After finding that i could do this, i didnt want it there any longer and so i deleted it, thinking that it would just delete the icon, much like the puff of smoke you get from the dock when you remove the icon.

It has deleted the program, and by the looks of things from my music folder, i still have my music.

So i simply tried to redownload and reinstall, but it isnt working, and tells me that there is nothing too install.

But I deleted the program, it isn't on my hardrive anymore, but I can't reinstall it, so at the moment I see no way of getting iTunes on my computer again.

In a desperate attempt, I backed up all of the 'iTunes music library' shortcut things that create themselves in the music folder and then deleted them off my hard drive in order to see if this is what made the installer think i still had itunes,

no avail.

I really hope someone can help me out here!
    I've been stupid, and i need bailing out.

edit - i have tiger

2. thomasp macrumors 6502a

Have a look on your installer DVD - there should be something on there that lets you re-install iTunes, or at least the whole iLife suite (including iTunes).

Just back up your music folder to a separate hard drive for total security, in case it gets erased. Or, drag it to your documents folder, and rename it something like "Random stuff" in case the iTunes installer overwrites your current iTunes Library folder with a new one.

3. Ashapalan thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm looking now but there isnt anything there that makes any sense to me other than 'install OS X 10.4' I clicked it hoping to get a custom install but it wants me to restart and I don't want to dig a deep hole just because I deleted one program

I dont understand why it isn't letting me simply reinstall.

4. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Okay first, open spotlight and search for anything having to do with iTunes. There will be a plist, etc. Delete any files that say iTunes except for your music folder of course.

Then try to install.

If not, download a program called "pacifist" and get your OS X cd's and I'll tell you what to do from there.

5. Revlimit Punk macrumors regular

Revlimit Punk

Try deleting every .pkg file whose name contains "iTunes" in your /Library/Receipts folder and then try reinstalling iTunes. It should work. Remember to backup your music library just in case.

6. Ashapalan thread starter macrumors 6502a

How about itunes 4 library?

7. Revlimit Punk macrumors regular

Revlimit Punk

It shouldn't be necessary, but since it's not that big, back it all up. Better be safe than sorry.

8. Ashapalan thread starter macrumors 6502a

well, it's reinstalled, but i have lost all of my videos and playlists :rolleyes:

Can i bring them back from the dead?

9. Revlimit Punk macrumors regular

Revlimit Punk

Have you already replaced the newly installed files with your old library? If not, close itunes, put the old library file in place of the new one (keep the duplicate though, you never know) and start it up again.
    Everything should get back to normal.

10. Ashapalan thread starter macrumors 6502a

bang on.

It's over, everything is as it was

Thank goodness for macrumors, and of course spotlight.

Thanks so much everyone for that help, i know not to do it again and it's such a relief.

11. Revlimit Punk macrumors regular

Revlimit Punk

Oh well, it's fun to mess things up once in a while, just keep backups :)

12. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Thanks for taking over revlimit, I had a class to go to.

13. thomasp macrumors 6502a

If you want to place a shortcut on your desktop (like I assume you were trying to do), open the Applications folder and click once on the iTunes application to select it. Go to the File menu then choose Make Alias. You'll see a new icon appear called "iTunes Alias" (or something like that). Drag this new file to the desktop or wherever you want a shortcut for iTunes, and leave the original where it is.

Or, just drag the iTunes application into the dock :D