Deleted Movie from my iMac and iCloud...Help.

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by ghsNick, Nov 29, 2012.

1. ghsNick, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012

macrumors 68000

ghsNick

I accidentally deleted a movie I bought for $20 off my iMac and iCloud.

Now when I go to look through my Purchased Movies in iTunes to re-download it it isn't there.

Is there a way to get it back without paying for it again?

Please help me.

2. thread starter macrumors 68000

ghsNick

I was able to get the movie back into my iTunes because it was in the Trash...I restored it. But how do I get it back under Purchases/iCloud?

Can anyone help me?

3. macrumors 65816

just out of curiosity, is the movie still available in the store? I have heard of when its out of the store for whatever reason, you cannot redownload it. So make sure and make a back-up.

4. ghsNick, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013

thread starter macrumors 68000

ghsNick

I've got to find this thing!

5. macrumors 65816

i believe if you go to purchases in the itunes store and redownload it, it should be there. However since you chose yes to the cloud delete, I am not certain if this will work.

6. thread starter macrumors 68000

ghsNick

thats my problem...it is no longer in Purchases to re-download. It's on my iMac but not in Purchases. So now if I want to stream/download it from my other iDevices I can't. Do you think there's a way to put it back into my Purchases/iCloud or should I call Apple?

If I call can they fix it?

7. macrumors regular

Don't worry dude; just email Apple support.
    This happened to me a while ago, they just restored the movie to my account.

8. macrumors 6502

Go to your account, and click on hidden purchases - it should be in there! :)

9. macrumors 65816

nice to hear they can do that. I dont use the cloud at all and just download and backup as I have heard too many issues with the cloud. Glad they got that 1 issue of thousands remaining taken care of.

10. macrumors newbie

Same thing happened to me

I don't really understand why Apple even allows people to delete their purchases from their iCloud. Who would want to do that? It's just asking for trouble. I was trying to delete movies off my computer to free up some space when I accidentally deleted it off iCloud too.

11. macrumors newbie

MagnetikMan

As a poster has already stated, if you go to your account on itunes then go into hidden purchases you will find the film your looking for.

It hasnt been deleted from your account just hidden, click unhide and you will see it in your purchased films list again, i made the same mistake as you and thought id have to buy the film again. :)

12. macrumors newbie

i wish this were true...ever time i click unhide it still is hidden. I go back into my account and shows it still as hidden. I've clicked the button just under a billion times. Never works. I get tired of emailing Apple support for their cloud service issues.

13. shalliday, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013

macrumors member

I have had more than one purchase mysteriously "go missing" from my iTunes store account. When I first contacted Apple via email, they informed me that they are not responsible to ensure the accuracy of my store purchases and that it was my responsibility to ensure I have a backup of my purchases. Listed below are my most recent emails to Apple support:

The Apple support email response that I did receive did not address how or why they were deleted from my harddrive but instead was a boiler plate email response instructing me how to redownload from my store account purchases. Both "Arbitrage" and "Art of Flight" were added back to my store account purchases, which I have since redownloaded, I have yet to receive a satisfactory explanation as to how or why they were deleted from my harddrive in the first place.

I have now started the process of reviewing iTunes (database and folders) alphabetically in search other missing media and then cross reference with all of my purchased receipts. So far managed to identify three more "missing" movie files. Once completed I will be sending Apple support the list, complete with receipts and requesting they add them back to my store account purchases.

Meanwhile I have ordered a 2nd Synology NAS to serve as a backup unit for my iTunes NAS. Considering the time, effort and cost of building my home media center; (1) 2011 MacMini, (3) ATV's (4) Cisco SG300 Smart Media Switches (4) CyberPower 1500 UPS's and (2) Synology DS1511 NAS units, if I had my time back I would just simply rent or go to the movies :)

As for iTunes, it seems I am too far in to get out. Over the years I have spent a small fortune in purchasing encoded music and movies from the Apple store so it seems I am stuck with iTunes since there is no other viable alternative Apple purchased media. This I wouldn't mind so much if iTunes was more feature rich, less restrictive and less of a performance pig. As a software developer for more than 20 years, I am both perplexed and annoyed with iTunes inability to provide adequate sort and search capabilities, basic database management tools or seamless NAS integration. This is particularly frustrating for those of us with huge media libraries where the larger your library, the worse it gets.

Guess I am getting way off-topic. In answer to johndoejohndoes original question:

Go to the iTunes store and under support send Apple a support ticket requesting they restore your Apple purchase to your Apple account. That is what I did and it worked.