Deleteing invisible items from the desktop

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Ben Kei, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Ben Kei macrumors regular

Hi, Just noticed I have a couple of folders on my desktop that are invisible and don't need to be there.

Basically I'm doing a remix for someone and the first .zip file they sent me said it was corrupt and refused to expand, however the contents of the zip are on my desktop! only as an invisible folder.. it showed up in the browser for my sequencer program but doesn't show in the Finder browser window.

If all the files from the .zip were unstuffed then it's taking up almost 500MB of space so deleting it is preferable.

Any little apps to do this?

2. coconn06 macrumors regular

You can use the Terminal.

Use the command "rm -rf ~/Desktop/file" to delete "file" ("file can be a regular file or a directory). Or use the wildcard to delete all files: "rm -rf ~/Desktop/dir/*" to delete all files in the directory "dir."

3. advres Guest

advres

Command F

If you use Command F you can find all the invisible files by using the file name and telling it to search for invisible files only. When the search is done, click on the files you do not want and press command delete to trash em

4. RiseAgainst macrumors regular

You could also download Tinker Tool:

http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/5721

And turn hidden files visible throught the finder. Then just delete them like any other file. Then turn them hidden again.

5. advres Guest

advres

Oh ya - I forgot cocktail dill do that too. FYI