Deleting a user account

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by None Such, Aug 14, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502

I'm trying to delete a user account. I found this page: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh1061.html

However, it won't even let me select the user account to delete it. And what is the "(-)" after "Delete" for?

2. macrumors 68040

tobefirst

The ( - ) after the Delete signifies the minus button at the bottom of the list of accounts. Is that the button that you are pressing after selecting (highlighting) an account in the window above it?

Are you sure that you're logged in as an Admin? Are you trying to delete the account that you're currently in?

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah thank you. That's what the (-) means. I can't get it to highlight the account in the window. That's the main problem. When I try to select the other account name it just highlights the whole window. I've just had this mac a few days and I've never used one before. I'm sure I'm missing something easy and doing something really stupid. Just wish I knew what it was. Or actually if I could just change the name of the "short name" it would be all good.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

It shows my name in the corner up top like I'm in the Admin account. But in Accounts it shows a check by the other account. hmm

Edit: That's what it was...sorta. It was saying that it was in the admin account at the top of the page, but in the accounts it was on the other account. Weird. I just rebooted and went back in and it worked. Thanks Tobefirst!

5. macrumors member

Do you know if the lock in the bottom left corner of the window is unlocked? Cause if its locked, that could cause that.

6. macrumors 68040

tobefirst

For future reference, I've used this utility to change the short name, and although it doesn't come without risks, it worked fine for me.

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I checked that. Good thought though. I could see that happening.

8. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks again Tobefirst!

9. macrumors 6502

I think the check next to the account means that it is logged in, so you can't delete it, the reboot would have logged you out of both.