deleting account: a 2-day long process?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by diegoemme, Sep 5, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi everybody,
    I have just made a clean install of Lion because the upgrade had resulted in an extremely slow (almost unusable) MacMook. I have migrated few selected things through Migration assistant (iPhoto Library, iTunes Library, few docs). Since I wanted the present installation to be as "clean" as possible I imported my old user (lets call it A) and then I moved the libraries and the docs from A to the Shared folder, I logged out from A, I logged in as B (the "clean" user) and copied the libraries and the docs. Everything worked fine. I then decided to delete user A from system preferences (checking the "secure" mode box). Well it is "deleting the account" since 30 hours. It this normal? If not, what should I do?
    thank you very much
    Diego

2. macrumors regular

It depends how much stuff you ended up deleting... Using secure delete means the sectors are overwritten with zeros, or something similar. Therefore it will take longer than just a standard deletion, which just removes reference to the file and allows the sectors to be reallocated.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks PCRanger... apparently it was normal. After about 60 hours it managed to delete all the accounts.

4. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I avoid the secure ease options, mostly because my need for instant gratification supersedes my paranoia :eek:

5. macrumors 68000

maril1111

Yeh same for me although I am wondering why would anybody need 35pass delete...

6. macrumors newbie

Is there any way to cancel this once it starts? I need to ship out this computer I just sold and I don't have 60 hours to wait for this to finish... It won't let me close System Prefs or shutdown/restart.

7. macrumors newbie

because its secure!