Deleting "Backups" On Macintosh HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by apos13, Dec 24, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

So I'm trying to clear out some room on my laptop, but it seems like nothing is actually getting deleted. I look at my HD and see that 53gb is dedicated to Backups that I don't really need since I use a Time Machine back up. Is there any way for me to delete this?

Thanks in advance

[​IMG]

2. macrumors G5

Macman45

Time Machine keeps "Local" backups on your HDD as space permits..If you use it as your main backup solution, I'd be inclined to leave it alone....

3. macrumors regular

Jaypi

If you need space those backups will get removed automatically

4. macrumors 6502a

docal97

5. macrumors 65816

If you go to terminal and type "ls" from the root, you should see a volume called "MobileBackups" or something like that. Its hidden in Finder.

6. macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    "Is" is not a Terminal command that does anything apart from getting you an error message.

this command will disable local backups

sudo tmutil disablelocal

7. macrumors 6502a

mward333

The command written above was not "Is" but rather "ls", i.e., ell-ess (12th letter of the alphabet, followed by 19th letter of the alphabet). Hope that helps. "ls" just lists the files in the current directory.

8. macrumors 65816

:)

----------

He wanted to know where the files are located.

9. macrumors regular

Same problem, thogh I don't remember the break down.

I only have 7 GB left of my 120GB SSD available space. How can I get ride off the stuff that I already save on the external HDD?

Can I move iMovie projects to the external and only keep the once I am currently working on on the SSD for faster speed?

I want to clear everything from the internal SSD and keep only the applications on it.

Thanks!

10. macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    ls still does not reveal anything except

Screen Shot 2012-12-29 at 7.36.40 PM.png

11. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

The file is at /.Mobilebackups and if you try to access it in Terminal you will get a message you do not have permission to access it.

If you want to delete the local backups mentioned by the OP, just turn Time Machine off then back on and it will zero out.

12. macrumors newbie

Reformat the last resort?

Having tried the Terminal response and had no luck with "ls" I decided to reformat the backup disk. Disk utility would not let me do this as I had deleted files already and they were in the Trash which was linked to the backup disk, which would not dismount. And the Trash wouldn't empty because of controlled files ( Mackeeper virus removal over lots of backups).

So I created another user on my mac mini and used disk utility to reformat the drive.
    Success!
    Hope this simple solution is helpful to those who don't mind reformatting their backup disk.

13. macrumors newbie

just turn off time machine and the backup data will go away

14. macrumors regular

luisito

I didn't know you could backup on the same drive as the OS.

Interesting, but personally a bad choice, hence the lack of space. Try using Time Machine with an external hard drive, it will give you back half of your drive.

15. macrumors 68040

Local time machine backups aren't meant to be a true backup. It's a local backup that's supposed to be a safety net for when you are away from your "true" TM backup.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4878
    http://pondini.org/TM/30.html

If you don't want to use Time Machine at all (external or local), just turn it off. Local TM is enabled by default, and functions even if you've never set up Time Machine.

EDIT: Crap. Didn't realize the thread was 6 month's old.

16. macrumors regular

luisito

Oh man! I have fallen victim of the same circumstances. Haha. I never check dates of threads that are within the first half page of the thread list..

Thank you, sidaphay