Deleting dups

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CommonMan, Oct 22, 2006.

1. CommonMan macrumors regular

CommonMan

I inadvertently duplicated a large number of files. Now I have a ton of files where the file name states that it is a copy. Is there any quick and dirty way of getting rid of these copys? I dread going through and deleting each one individualy.

Also, for files that are duplicates where the file name does not say "copy", I wonder if there is a good way to get rid of those (wife just came in).

2. Lau Guest

It's a long shot, but have you done anything on the computer since you duplicated them? Because you can go to Edit > Undo (or press Apple + Z) and it'll undo your last action, which if it was duplicating them, it'll sort you out.

I know it's unlikely, but I thought it was worth a shot.

3. CommonMan thread starter macrumors regular

CommonMan

Thanks, but yeah, I've done quite a lot since I inadvertantly created the copies.
    I was thinking of doing a search for a files that have "copy" in the name and then I could just delete all these files as a batch.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That would work.

5. eyup macrumors regular

eyup

6. CommonMan thread starter macrumors regular

CommonMan

thanks but...

the last thing I want to do is download software. OS x should have everything I need to do this simple function. It's just a matter of me learning how to work with this mysterious "Finder." My brother says to thing of Finder as something that runs the applications but this does not help. Recently, I found a function that allowed me to search by specific criteria but I cannot find it nor can I find the finder!!!:confused: :mad:

7. CommonMan thread starter macrumors regular

CommonMan

Never Mind

Thanks everyone but I figured it out. I found "find"!!!!:) :D

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That's a good start. It's a bit like looking for your glasses. :)

9. CommonMan thread starter macrumors regular

CommonMan

I know I did it and got them all

I am back now with the same problem and I am sure that I was able to get them "all at once." I did not have to go through and manually delete each one.
    The "find copy" method works for some but not all duplicates. I am pretty sure I was able to do it automatically but now I cannot remember. Somebody help me out here.

10. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

holy thread resurrection !!

I'm assuming that the files are in your user directory. Perhaps try to open the home folder and sort the contents by date created. the duplicate files were probably all created at the same time and should group together at the top of the folder in which they are contained (use list view)

if they are not in the user directory, just double-click on the HD icon and do the same. It's a bit more complicated but will also do the same