Deleting email from server via Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hapahouston, May 29, 2006.

1. hapahouston macrumors newbie

Anyone know how to relay to my email that i've read/deleted a message via Mail? I hate having the email server save the messages that i've already read. *frustrated*

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Mark one of your inboxes and hit cmd-I, choose an account and Remove the unwanted messages from the server... :)

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

To get it to happen regularly (as opposed to just when you do CMD-I), it depends on a few things:

1) What kind of server? (MS, Groupwise, GMail...)

2) What kind of interface (IMAP, POP, etc?)

For IMAP accounts, it should be automatic without doing anything -- any message moved out of the server boxes (inbox, sent, etc) by virtue of deletion or movement to a saved mail folder will get removed from the inbox. If it doesn't work, your server is ignoring the request for some reason. For instance, Groupwise for me does this strange thing where it doesn't immediately delete messages I move out of my inbox, but it crosses them out, and eventually deletes them.

For POP, Preferences -> Accounts -> Click on the account -> Advanced -> check "Remove copy from server..." and select the setting you want. But again, the server may ignore the request (GMail does, for instance).

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Launch Mail.
    Select the Mail>Preferences... menu item.
    Click on your account icon in the Sidebar.
    Click the Advanced tab.
    Check Remove copy from server after retrieving a message:
    From the popup menu, select Right away or whichever interval you prefer.