Deleting files from USB pen drive

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by orthodoc, Feb 27, 2003.

1. orthodoc macrumors member

I am having trouble deleting files from my USB pen drive. I am able to send all the files to the trash, but the capacity of the disk remains the same as before deleting. So each time I add something and then later trash it, the capacity of my pen drive goes down further. The files don't show up in the finder, but it is like they are still on the drive.

anybody know what is going on??

thanks in advance

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

your going to need to give a little more info; what format is the usb drive, HFS+ or PC?

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

don't flame me if you think this is a stupid question, but did you empty the trash afterwords?

pnw

4. orthodoc thread starter macrumors member

well I don't know. I use it to transfer files among different computers (macs and pcs). I used disk utility to format the drive and I formatted it using HFS+. But I didn't really know what format to use.

5. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

i have the same problem. I have a sony microvault. The problem is that the drive moves the deleted files to a folder called ".Trashes" and the finder hides things that start with a "." I installed tinker tool, turned on show hidden and system files, and then the folder shows up. Other wise your can use a widows box to delete the .trashes folder. Hope this helped

6. orthodoc thread starter macrumors member

You mean, delete the whole trash can on my computer? Do I have to do this to remove files permanantly from my USB pen drive?

7. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

Works the same as a zip disk... you have to empty the trash while it is connected to delete the "drive's trash can".

When the drive or disk is connected to your mac, the trash can defaults to that of the device's.

Ya know what i mean???

8. orthodoc thread starter macrumors member

I'll give tink tool a try. thanks

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

yep you have to empty the system's trash can. if you haven't done this while the drive is connected, that's your culprit right there.

:)
    pnw

10. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

so if i simply empty the trash while the drive is connected it will empty the pen drive....awesome, and i've been doing it the hard way for 6 months now:(