Deleting Games? (WoW)

Discussion in 'Games' started by illegalprelude, Nov 25, 2005.

1. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

hey you guys, im having my buddy come over to cali for 3 weeks during xmas and I have World of Warcraft on my PC and hes like "well if u install it on ur Mac, we can lan it up".

Sounds cool enough but I use my Mac mainly for editings and music and pictures so I don t like to put random crap on it. Is there a way I can install the game then uninstall it or there is no uninstall on macs? even for games

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

On a Mac, you don't need to "install" most applications and games. Windows requires you to install stuff because Windows requires every program to dump crap in the Registry, the System folder, and stick DLL's all over the place.

On a Mac, you just copy the program to your hard drive (unless its a program that has to modify your system for some reason, or add fonts and stuff, then it'll use an installer; sometimes normal apps use installers too, but the installers just copy stuff to your hard drive). Then you run it. To get rid of it, you drop the program in the trash bin. Simple as that.

Unlike Windows, putting more programs on your Mac will not slow it down.

3. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Just dragging the WoW folder to the trash should be enough.

It might leave a link on the desktop, which you can delete too.

4. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

ahh ok ok. good deal :)

5. crachoar macrumors 6502a

That's not true at all. The more content you add to a drive - the longer it takes to access content - indexed or not.

Take a fresh install of OSX with only the core apps on it - then take another drive and load it with music, games, creative apps, etc. I promise you - the fresh install will be faster.

With each install and uninstall - the drive still fragments. Permissions are broken and things slow down. While it may not be as bad as Windows can become - it still happens.

I'm sure we can all agree that we enjoy using OSX more than we do Windows - this is simply a mac myth.

What's the verdict?

Myth Busted!

For the most part - when it comes to deletion - you just move to the trash can and empty. However - there are some apps that install files in your library and under 'Application Support'.

This is one of those things where it's so simple - it becomes confusing. That's why most Windows users are so turned off by OSX. The simplicity can be overwhelming - as silly as that sounds.

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Well, yeah, there's that if you don't have enough hard drive space. But in that case, it doesn't matter whether they are files or applications.

In the case of Windows, installing 200 programs that take up 20 GB of space will slow your PC down more than 30 GB of videos would, any day.

And OS X defragments on the fly, which is even better.

Conclusion: It's nowhere near as bad as Windows ;)

7. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

oh believe me, I <3 my Mac, thats why I just dont wanna install random stuff on her :D