Deleting Garageband...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by psychofreak, Dec 3, 2006.

1. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Hey, I'm hoping to increase my HD space soon, but right now I'm desperate for all the teeny MBs I can get. I never use Garageband, and have heard that there are loads of loops and things that take up loads of space. I can always reinstall it when I upgrade my HD, but would all those things be deleted if I just dragged Garageband into the trash, and how much space would it save?

EDIT: Ive also run Monolingual, and deleted apps I don't use. Are there any other easy things to free up space?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

garage band occupy around 2G on disk, but major part of it is not in application folder. to delete it completely, just goto spotlight and search for garageband, and delete all related file/folders.

other thing you can delete is iDVD(>1G), iwork(2G) and printer's driver you dont need.

3. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

How do I delete the printer drivers.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

library/printers/
    find the stuff u dont need, and delete them.

5. jl24 macrumors newbie

I deleted my Library/Reciepts folder once and it messed up the computer so I couldn't repair permissions. It might take up a lot of space but leave this folder. Apart from that, just go through apps like iPhoto and iMovie to see if you've left anything in there own internal trash cans. Xslimmer can help slim apps down for you

6. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

doesn't appzapper do that too? It isn't free, but I love it.

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The Garageband and iDVD themes take up a few GBs of space. You'll find both in the Applications Support folder.

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

AppZapper doesn't get everything, particularly for Apple apps. In fact, I think it misses all of the loops for GarageBand.

9. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

is there anything better than AppZapper? thanks!

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Spotlight.

I use and like AppZapper and it works great for most apps. Spotlight will often be more thorough, but it's a bit messier to deal with. I usually use a combination...AppZapper first, then Spotlight to make sure it didn't miss anything. It usually doesn't.

11. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

cool, thanks for the info.