deleting hard drive and reinstalling os x

Discussion in 'macOS' started by qmtran, Oct 6, 2005.

1. qmtran macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I bought a ibook off the internet and what do you know...it was networked and what not. So now I do not have the adminstrative password and cannot get a hold of the person who sold it to me. I purchased OS X Tiger and it says to delete the harddrive first then install it. How would I go about doing this? As in deleting the hard drive first that is. I'm new to the Mac world. any help would be great, thanks in advance.

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

hold down C as you boot with the Tiger disc in, then go to to disk utility and format the drive

3. qmtran thread starter macrumors newbie

it loads, saying that its getting ready to install then freezes. :eek: sometimes it spits the disk back out. any idea?

4. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

bad disc drive or bad media, try resetting PRAM (search apple support for how to as i don't know off the top of my head)

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The instructions are in the Stickies at the top of the Forum.

6. qmtran thread starter macrumors newbie

i dont have the pw to do that...and it wont let me...there is nothing like in the sticky after i go into utilities. any other way? or some way around this?

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Sure that it's kosher? It may be that the original owner put a firmware password on it to stop the admin password being overwritten by putting in a system disc.

8. qmtran thread starter macrumors newbie

i got it from some guy off the internet used. so i have no idea. dont tell me i'm in the hole with this laptop. anything else i can try?

9. qmtran thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help guys...i finally got a hold of the guy and got the pw from him. i just went on that side of the comp and booted the cd and it works. thanks guys!

10. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

This sounds shady. If I were you I would be contacting ebay and paypal right now, to report a bad purchase. (I'm assuming you used ebay?)

Freezes when trying to install the OS sounds like a systemboard problem to me. Did you get any kind of warranty?

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It could also be a problem with the optical drive. I've seen Tiger installs freeze part way through for this reason.