Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
I've noticed that when I restore my iPad from an iTunes desktop backup, most of the apps are downloaded from the iPad App Store after the restore is complete.

So I'm wondering is there still a reason to transfer purchases to the desktop iTunes when asked?

It used to be necessary for successful restores, but now I'm wondering if I can just delete all the iOS apps on my Mac. Does anyone know?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I have a recent iTunes restore experience, and what iTunes does is copying app inside library rather than downloading it from App Store. I don't think iTunes will download app from App Store unless you recover it from iCloud backup.

Plus, local backup recover speed is generally faster than iCloud backup.

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
When I restored recently, the iPad took about 5 minutes to restore and then I disconnected the cable, and it downloaded all the apps.

Although that could have been through a wifi connection with my Mac. Hadn't thought of that.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
When I restored recently, the iPad took about 5 minutes to restore and then I disconnected the cable, and it downloaded all the apps.

Although that could have been through a wifi connection with my Mac. Hadn't thought of that.
If you leave the Cable connected all the time until backup finished, iTunes will copy apps from local library, not downloading them from App Store.

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
If you leave the Cable connected all the time until backup finished, iTunes will copy apps from local library, not downloading them from App Store.

Sure. I know that. But I'm asking the opposite.

If I delete the apps from the computer, will the iPad successfully restore all the apps from the AppStore?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Sure. I know that. But I'm asking the opposite.

If I delete the apps from the computer, will the iPad successfully restore all the apps from the AppStore?
May, or may not.
Probably if ALL your apps are purchased in a single store, then it is possible. Otherwise, no. Not all apps will be restored from the AppStore.

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
May, or may not.
Probably if ALL your apps are purchased in a single store, then it is possible. Otherwise, no. Not all apps will be restored from the AppStore.

I don't really know what you mean.

But found the answer here:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205099

"If your apps aren‘t transferred from iTunes to your device after updating to iOS 9
With iOS 9, apps no longer need to transfer or sync with iTunes when you restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Instead, the apps download directly to your device.

iOS 9 includes a new feature that allows you to download just the parts of an app needed for your device. This saves storage space on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch when you install an app that supports this feature. After you update to iOS 9, iTunes isn't used to restore your apps when you restore your device. Instead, optimized versions of your apps download from the App Store directly to your device.

If you can see the apps on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, and they appear to be waiting to download, make sure you're connected to Wi-Fi or the Internet. After you're connected, optimized versions of your apps automatically download to your device.

Similarly, apps that you add to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch don't sync or transfer to iTunes on your computer. If you want to download apps to iTunes, turn on Automatic Downloads in iTunes Preferences. You can also download previously purchased apps from iTunes.

Last Modified: Oct 7, 2015"

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I don't really know what you mean.

But found the answer here:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205099

"If your apps aren‘t transferred from iTunes to your device after updating to iOS 9
With iOS 9, apps no longer need to transfer or sync with iTunes when you restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Instead, the apps download directly to your device.

iOS 9 includes a new feature that allows you to download just the parts of an app needed for your device. This saves storage space on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch when you install an app that supports this feature. After you update to iOS 9, iTunes isn't used to restore your apps when you restore your device. Instead, optimized versions of your apps download from the App Store directly to your device.

If you can see the apps on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, and they appear to be waiting to download, make sure you're connected to Wi-Fi or the Internet. After you're connected, optimized versions of your apps automatically download to your device.

Similarly, apps that you add to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch don't sync or transfer to iTunes on your computer. If you want to download apps to iTunes, turn on Automatic Downloads in iTunes Preferences. You can also download previously purchased apps from iTunes.

Last Modified: Oct 7, 2015"
I don't know how this could change anything, but sorry for not able to help you out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.