deleting mac classic, and cleaning up hard drive...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lorenzo, Dec 24, 2005.

1. lorenzo macrumors member

I have noticed my computer running slower than normal, what programs can I use to virus scan/ spyware scan my mac?

Also, I can not seem to remove mac classic. I try to delete the folder but it is not allowed because it is a system folder. Any advice?

Also, with my pc i would do a scandisc and i think reformat every month or so... is there anything like that I can do to my mac to keep it tuned up? Its been great so far, I just recently noticed it slowing a bit. Safari has also been freezing a heck of a lot.

Thanks

2. Chasealicious macrumors member

Chasealicious

Looking for spyware on a Mac is like looking for a Hula dancer in Alaska. Nine times out of ten, installing any anti-virus or spyware software is simply going to make things worse.

If you've got Classic on your hard drive, that means you're using a computer that's at least two or three years old, and you haven't ever completely wiped the drive to start over. I back up all of my files, completely wipe my hard drives, and do a fresh install once a year just to keep things running smooth. That's not really necessary for everyone to do all the time, I just do it because I'm weird.

So if your computer is starting to bog down, I'd say its time you make a complete backup, boot from a system install CD, completely erase the hard drive and zero out the data (make sure to not check the "install system 9 drivers" option) and load it up with a fresh copy of Tiger.

My parents just did this on a G4 iMac in the last few weeks, and it feels like a completely new computer. Happy cleaning!

edit: as far as doing regular tune-ups is concerned, download a copy of Onyx from Version Tracker and run it once a month. Cheers.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

4. lorenzo thread starter macrumors member

im on a new 12inch powerbook...
    i installed classic so i could run a very old mac program...

5. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

Does classic take up alot of Room HD space? and does it come on all the time or only when it needs to be openend?

6. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

i was thinking of installing it, but don't want it to boggle down my computer pb 1.5G4