deleting msn messenger login

Discussion in 'macOS' started by eshabadeu, Oct 1, 2006.

1. eshabadeu macrumors newbie

Oct 1, 2006
    i was searching for the exact answer to the question by "cykawtik" and couldn't find the answer. so i'm posting the same one by "cykawtik" below within inverted comas. it may not be my words but i need the same solution as "cykawtik" does. i would really appreciate if someone could please HELP!!!

"I have a question about Micro$oft Me$$enger. How do I delete accounts from the login screen. A few friends tried logged into their MSN account using my Mac and now there accounts are stored in the history. How can I delete them? Can I delete them?"

also the accounts are stored in skype too. how to delete accounts from it too. what's your advice. is it something to do with storage of accounts in Mac?

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    Should be an option in the messenger perference to not save history...check it out.

3. eshabadeu thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 1, 2006
    i have checked it but there is no function there which can delete the drop down list. it is not only msn messenger but skype too. whenever anyone get online from my Mac, user account is saved and the drop down list increases.

i used to delete accounts from Win XP by going to control panel>user accounts>manage your passwords>remove

but since i'm new to Mac, i couldn't find a function deleting saved users. if you come across anything please let me know.

4. MervilleMudders macrumors newbie

Oct 1, 2006
    Vancouver Island
    if it anything like the windows verion you have to go into your compt. accounts, and delete them that way, i had the same proublem with my pc, and it fixed them! it didnt have anything to do with msn, they were stored in your files.
  5. nightelf macrumors 6502

Mar 25, 2003
    You cannot delete the previous logins in Messenger.

What I usually do is:

1. Delete the Messenger Preferences.
    2. Set everything again.
    3. Backup Preferences.

When someone else use my Mac, I replace the Preferences with my backup. Remember to use a "Copy" not a "Move/Transfer".
  6. sueyeow macrumors newbie

Mar 12, 2007
    Os 10 and this is still a problem....

7. Karmamour macrumors newbie

Apr 14, 2008
    To really delete MSN Messenger from a Mac, I had to do the following:
    1. Normal uninstall first.
    2. After this, I searched for "Microsoft" with Spotlight, and after that I manually deleted the following file:

...and the following folder:

Microsoft Messenger Data

After this MSN couldn't detect any previous versions (or accounts) when re-installed. (Not that re-installing is recommended... ;) )
  8. PlayNice macrumors newbie

Sep 8, 2009
    i realise this is an old thread but for those who might be interested.
    you can go to keychain access and delete the messenger keychains.
    then go to msn. click sign in on a different account and then clear history.
  9. wesrk macrumors 6502a

Nov 4, 2007
    How exactly do you do that?