Deleting on USB drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KD7IWP, Apr 11, 2006.

1. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

On Windows when I delete a file from my Flash drive it is instantly gone. Yet on OSX, when I delete something, it disappears off the drive, but is still taking up space until I empty the trash. Sometimes I may not want to empty the trash just yet, but want something removed from my flash drive. Is there a setting that will allow me to delete things instantly just from the Flash drive, not from other drives as well?

2. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Well, if you're comfortable in the Terminal you can rm the files. Other than that, not that I know of.

3. superwoman macrumors regular

Sadly, this is one of the annoying things about Mac OS X. There _is_ one solution: Compost. It's a trash management utility, and it allows per-volume setting. I set Compost to permanently delete trash files on my thumbdrive volume after 10 mins. It works.

4. captainbeefheat macrumors regular

I guess a work around might be to create a folder on your desktop, throw files in their your planning to delete, so then your trash is always empty until u actually want to delete it properly. That work?

5. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I heartily second the suggestion to use Compost. It's an install and forget utility that's worth the $8.95.

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Just move the file(s) off the USB drive (drag'n'drop while holding down the cmd button, which should get rid of the green '+' and actually move the file and not copy it from one volume to another), then it should be gone from the USB drive and you can move it to trash from wherever you moved it to and empty trash later. :)

7. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

Thanks Mitthrawnuruodo. That was an easy solution. :D