Deleting "Other" on Hard Drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PsstGreek, Dec 12, 2012.

1. macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

How would I go about deleting "other" on my hard drive? A few days ago I tried to partition the hard drive so I can install Windows 7. Long story short, I couldn't for some reason. Now I discover, there's almost 400GB of other and iMac is a little sluggish.

I'm using Mountain Lion. Any help would be great.

Attached Files:

2. macrumors member

Seen this before and "other" turned out to be images (photographs) in need of transfer to an external HDD.

3. thread starter macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

How could I find out what the "other" is?

4. macrumors member

Take a look at your personal files, see if there is a folder that is excessively large and could account for (a large part of) the "other" files.

5. thread starter macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

I can't seem to find any thing that large any where on the computer.

6. macrumors 68000

53x12

Format the drive and restore from a previous backup should help.

7. theSeb, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012

macrumors 604

theSeb

There are posts on this forum which will explain what other is. I've created a detailed one. However, your case is quite specific. Other is many different files, but in your case it is probably mainly the remains of the failed partition operation. I would not recommend trying to fix this yourself, unless you have a good understanding of os x and the terminal. Doing a restore from a previous backup, as per the above advice, is the best option. You did do a backup before trying to repartition your hard drive? Right?

8. thread starter macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Unfortunately I do not have a backup of my computer. The only important things are my photos and music that I just transfered to my flash drive. I have a somewhat decent understanding of OS X but can follow a guide to a tee.

9. macrumors 6502

Trace down where all the files are. You can start by doing a get 'get info' on each folder starting with your home directory. Or use a program like 'Disk Inventory X' and trace down the folder tree were all the space is.

10. thread starter macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

I used the app but there's nothing that consumes 400GB. Should I follow theSeb's guide?

11. macrumors 68000

53x12

Just pull the photos and music back to an external (if not still there) and format drive.

12. thread starter macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Well the "other" is definitely from the failed attempts at my iMac trying to partition the hard drive and install Windows 7.

13. macrumors 6502a

Then absolutely format and start fresh if you have all your applications available to reinstall, and have backed up your personal data. 400GB is a lot for a Windows partition, especially on a 500GB drive! Good Luck

14. thread starter macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

The odd thing is, there aren't any partitions showed in Disk Utilities.

Attached Files:

15. macrumors 68000

53x12

Don't waste more time. Pull the files you need and just format. You can haven been done with this and back up and running several hours ago. Just do it. Format.

16. macrumors 6502

MatthewAMEL

That's what you would expect if it was a 'failed' attempt to create a partition. It allocated the space, but never wrote the new partition table. I have seen Boot Camp Assistant do this a few times.

Have you tried clicking on the physical disk itself in Disk Utility (not the volume) and running 'repair disk'?

That runs a partition repair, not a disk repair.

17. thread starter macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

I did that and nothing seemed to work. I formatted the drive and re-installed ML. All is well now. Thanks for the help guys.

18. macrumors 68000

53x12

You are welcome.

19. macrumors member