Deleting "Previous Systems"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by EJBasile, Jul 21, 2005.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Hi Everyone,

I have had to reinstall OS X 10.3 two times on my powerbook because twice it has started to not want to sleep and the screen would just go blank and the fans would run (i think it could have something to do with my HP LaserJet 1012).

Anyways, I Archived and Installed both times. I now have two "Previous Systems" folders each about 4gb each. Is it okay if I delete these or will they screw up my computer?

Thanks,
    Eric

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

If you're sure there's nothing in there that will be missed (mostly 3rd party plug-ins and sorts) then just delete them.

You can even start with the latter of the two, because all your original stuff should be in the first one, so the other should be redundant... :)

3. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I looked inside of them and in the Apps folder there is only Standard Mac software (no iLife) and the Utilities. There are also system folders and libraries. Additionally there are users folders but theres nothing in them. So I think the only thing contained in them are Mac OS X 10.3 with no other files or apps.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

One tip, though. Take out the old Preview.app from the previous system before deleting it.

That has a couple of features that Apple "forgot" when they upgraded (like target size for exports), and it runs fine under Tiger along side version 3 which came with Tiger.

5. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I don't have Tiger yet, I'm still on OS 10.3

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Sorry about that, I have to start reading the posts better... :eek:

But, the advise still holds, for whenever you're gonna upgrade to Tiger... ;)