deleting previous systems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macOSX-tastic, Sep 7, 2005.

1. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

hi guys, i previeously did an archive and install action for OS X tiger in order to solve a problem, and have found the file "previous systems 1" in the "previous systems" folder of macintosh HD. is it safe to delete this stuff or not? i want to free up some space.

thanks,

tastic

2. macOSX-tastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

does anyone know? i would not like to remove it if it were to cause problems, such as kernel panics and the like...are any files in that folder used by OS X that is currently installed on the system?

thanks

tastic

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Your computer doesn't need anything in the previous systems folder you're referring to -- as far as it is concerned, you are free to delete it. It's there for your protection -- if you want to pull some library or user folder file out of there and back into another part of the computer. If it's been there for a while, and you're not using it, feel free to trash it.

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Just to echo mkrishnan's post, it's only there in case you need some old preferences or library file. Basically, if you're not sure what it's there for, you almost certainly don't need it, because it requires you to go in and get what you need for yourself.

5. macOSX-tastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

i see.

thanks guys, very much appreciated.

tastic