Deleting second desktop folder?!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by puffmarvin, Dec 28, 2002.

1. puffmarvin macrumors member

hey all...
    for some reason i have a second desktop folder which is located under Macintosh HD as you can see in the picture attached. i never created it nor do i know what created it. i cannot seem to delete it. i tried changing permissions on the folder and also logging in as root and deleting it. all it says is either the folder is owned by root and cannot be deleted or the folder cannot be deleted. i know its kinda anal but i would like to be able to get rid of it if it serves no purpose. im sure someone knows how i feel and what i mean =) thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

I could be wrong on this, but I think that's your OS 9 Desktop... though I thought it was called Desktop Folder... have you tried getting rid of it via OS 9?

If nothing else works, make sure it, and anything in it, is non-critical, then open the terminal and type (without the quotes) 'sudo rm -r /Desktop'. Hit return then enter your password at the prompt. Be sure that you do /Desktop, and not ~/Desktop, or /, otherwise bad things will happen.

3. oddfuzz macrumors member

'desktop'

i had this icon appear on my HD folder too. it was empty so i booted in os 9 and trashed it. and in case you were worried about anything bad happening, everythings fine here. i'm still kind of wondering how and why it was created.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I kind of wish OS 9 was updated to make all of it's invisible folders start with "." - I've had problems with this myself, both Desktop and Desktop Folder appearing on all of my partitions. I agree it's a bit annoying; I like to keep things tidy :)

:rolleyes: :)
    pnw

5. puffmarvin thread starter macrumors member

i booted up in os 9 and deleted the folder without a problem. no ill side effects here. thanks so much! now im just curious as to what created that folder. thanks again everyone... have a great new year!:)

6. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I have this folder also and I can't remove it. Even when I boot into OS9