Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CommonMan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
Midwest
Does anyone know if I can delete songs directly from my iPod? I have a new iPod 80B model a1136.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
You need to delete them from iTunes and update the iPod, though you might be able to use some 3rd party software to get around it.

CommonMan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
Midwest
Okay

so the structure of song lists and files on iTunes will be loaded onto the iPod?
Since both my wife and I are using the same iTunes as a source for music on our iPods, how do we make it so we can get different music?

The Mad Kiwi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
In Hell
If you're not just going to load your whole library onto your iPod then just make seperate playlists for you and your wife.

Drag the songs you want from your library to your playlists.

Then in preferences set your iPod to update from selected playlist and put a tick in box for the playlist you want your iPod to sync with.

When you add or delete stuff from your playlist it'll automatically update next time you connect your iPod.

Good luck.

Melkor

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
What ever happened to just being able to delete songs directly off the ipod? Wasn't that much easier?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
so the structure of song lists and files on iTunes will be loaded onto the iPod?
Since both my wife and I are using the same iTunes as a source for music on our iPods, how do we make it so we can get different music?

You can have separate libraries. I believe you hold down the option key when starting iTunes 7.x and it asks you which library to use.

CommonMan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
Midwest
okay, hold down the option key when I start up iTunes. And, is it true, there was a time when you could delete items directly from the ipod? I will also try the playlist idea. Thank you all and good morning.

Lunaprk

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2004
Orlando, Florida
"What ever happened to just being able to delete songs directly off the ipod? Wasn't that much easier?"

Yeah, should'nt you be able to go into your preferences and check "manually manage songs and playlists" then with your iPod connected in iTunes, just delete everything?

I manually manage my iPod library because I have more media (20+gig) than I want to have on my iPod. I've thinking about deleting all my stuff and starting over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.