Deleting songs off your ipod, but NOT itunes?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Roomi, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Roomi macrumors newbie

Ok so i've had this question in my mind ever since I first got my ipod nano.

Is there any way for you to keep your entire music like on itunes, but pick and choose which songs you want on your ipod without having to delete them from your library?

I've been told it is possible, and i've been told many different ways to do it, but none of them have worked for me.

Could some one maybe clear if up for me if it is possible or not? Thanks :)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you set your iPod to be manually managed, you can effectively have two separate libraries. Alternatively, you can only sync certain playlists if you want to avoid copying everything across, or you can uncheck individual songs and select to only update checked tracks in the iPod's Preferences. :)

3. Roomi thread starter macrumors newbie

Now, I forget how to set your ipod to be manual managed?

I might already have it like that? But today I downloaded the newest version of itunes and it reset my ipod D:

4. Roomi thread starter macrumors newbie

..actually I just figured it out!
    Thank you so much :)

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

6. Roomi thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Rickay726 macrumors 6502

Rickay726

im preety sure if you uncheck the little checked box in itunes next to what ever song you want it will keep it on your itunes and wont update it on your iPod

8. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Method 1: uncheck the songs that you don't want to go on your iPod (but this will also stop them from playing in iTunes).

Method 2: create a playlist for your iPod and have it automatically sync with that playlist, instead of your Library.