Deleting stuck files

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by gaomay, Dec 7, 2002.

1. gaomay macrumors regular

I know there's a way to delete stuck files using the terminal but I'm not sure of the procedure - can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

2. mike czech macrumors member

taken from http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@12.63p1a910dSy.6@.3bbbf188/0 (tip posted by Joel C.)

1. Launch Terminal

2.Type: sudo rm -R

3. Press the space bar once.

4. Drag the folder/file to the Terminal window. The files pathway should show up.

5. Press return

6. If you're asked for a password enter it and press return.

Worked for me every time...

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I'm not sure what you mean by "stuck files", but if you're referring to files that the Trash can't delete, here's how:

Use the command "rm -rf filename" to delete your .Trash file in your user directory. If you need to delete a file you don't own or have write access for, add "sudo" preceding the command: "sudo rm -rf filename"

A word of warning..."rm -rf" is a powerful command that deletes files w/out prompting for confirmation. Make sure you know what you're doing with it, because it's easy to make a mistake and trash the wrong files.

You might also want to check out BatChmod:
    http://versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=12057&db=mac

It has a GUI based method of force emptying the trash.

4. gaomay thread starter macrumors regular

5. Macette macrumors 6502

Thanks - I've been having this problem too, and have been so sick of the 'full' trash icon...

now i feel clean again.

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

Another technique to use, which doesn't require the Terminal, is using Root User.

This works for a lot of other situations, and has helped me when even the -rm... didn't work.

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

That's essentially what the "sudo" command does, and avoids the pitfalls of accidentally messing something up when logged in as "root".

8. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

If you have problems/issues in dealing with the Terminal, try the excellent "Pseudo" - downloadable from VersionTracker. It lets you work with the files as administrator: No mess, no fuss - just drag-and-drop on the icon, and you're instantly in "Root".

The other way - boot into OS9, and empty the trash...

;)