Deleting texts often or keeping them forever?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rckclmbr, Nov 2, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Hello everyone!

I really prefer to keep all of my SMS messages rather than deleting them and then going "Oh $%&# I lost it!" however, I am afraid that it will slow my phone down. My phone occasionally lags when I touch SMS, even if I have one or two short conversations in there. Would keeping all of my texts cause this to happen more or take longer to load, or is that just what happens regardless of how many texts I have saved on my phone? By the way, I have a 3G incase it matters.

Thank you in advance!

2. macrumors regular

When I kept all my texts it would make my typing lag.

I don't know if it will be the same for you.

3. macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

Well, I would suggest keeping those only from the hot chicks.:D
    I don't think it matters much regarding speed... the iphone 3G is as buggy as the rainforest.
    Just keep rebooting your phone everyday to keep the speed high.

4. macrumors 603

Warbrain

If you've jailbroken your iPhone, download iTextUploader from Cydia, sign up on that site, and back them up there. I do this and then clear out my iPhone from time to time. But my saved texts are available from ANYWHERE.

5. macrumors member

muckymucky

but what happens when youarchive.it decide to pull the plug on the service? because i signed up and cant find a way to simply export everything i.e. as a text file~

6. macrumors 68000

musio

7. macrumors 65816

THE JUICEMAN

i delete my txt ALL the time and i still get buggy txt performance sometimes. keyboard lag and slow sms openings. so i dont think it really matters if you keep all your txt. i think i might try to keep all my txt now and see what happens.

8. macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

since you can't delete individual messages, how stupid is that, I keep mine.

9. macrumors member

I have tonnes of SMS's When I press the "Load Earlier Messages" with 2 of my contacts I can press it about 25+ times to load all of the chats.

If I leave me phone on for a week straight it Lags but after a reset its fine and runs smoothly.

Name101

10. macrumors 603

Warbrain

It's not a perfect solution but it's something.

11. macrumors 6502

I clear my messages with everybody except for my girlfriend. But I still can't figure out why I need to keep them (other than the fact that I can try to find the text if I need to back up something I said or remember something that she said) because seriously you can't "save" them to the phone like most phones can, and you can't forward the messages if need be.

More on topic, I don't get lag by keeping her messages (which I've kept since August, and that's texting everyday) and I hardly reset my phone.

12. macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

I text a LOT, every week, or two weeks, my inbox is full. And I delete all the sms, I only keep the ones from my girlfriend. But I never have a lag. I used to, with 2.0, but now it's working smoothly :D

13. macrumors newbie

Missing Sync for iPhone from mark/space lets you keep them on your Mac, but it's not cheap (about $40).

14. macrumors 6502a

Clete2

Ahh, but you're giving your data away to a website.

Hopefully they will make an app that can upload directly to your PC in .txt format or similar. Of course, I can't use it, because I don't want to jailbreak, so it doesn't matter to me! :p

15. macrumors 6502

Yes it costs money, but I use Phoneview to back up all my texts and such. Not that I ever delete them from my phone, but it's still nice to have.

16. macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I have probably 10,000 texts on my iPhone and it's been fine, nothing lags at all.

17. macrumors regular

18. macrumors newbie

wagbass

19. macrumors 6502

Yup, another here for PhoneView... if you look hard enough it doesn't cost a penny...

20. macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

If your willing to sale your ethics to save $20 then god help you.

21. macrumors 603

Warbrain

Funny thing is that it won't read any SMS on my iPhone...odd...

22. macrumors regular

If you're willing to preach yours for free then Beelzebub help you.

23. macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

Delete them! There's way too much useless information saved in this world! :p

24. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Maybe its just me, but I can't ever see wanting to keep text messages.