Deleting "wordregister" in root folder!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Arielle, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Arielle macrumors member

I am putting this post under Mac software, because it involves software that was included with my Titanium G4 Laptop, although it is 3rd party:

HOW THE HECK DO I REMOVE THE "WORDREGISTER" file from the folder hierarchy shown in my snapshot (attached)?
    Those Microsoft B*stards automatically put Microsoft Office v. OS X on my titanium G4 laptop, and, although I erased the entire folder, its automatic registry for the trial app (which is located in the root folder and cannot be removed), infected my OLD & REGISTERED copy of Office version 98 (for which I do not have a disk to reinstall). Now whenever I try to print a word 98 file, the block letters TEST VERSION show across my documents! This is maddening! How do I get rid of this damn file??

:mad: :mad: :mad: >=--Arielle---> :mad: :mad: :mad:

PS- Any OS X tips on this or similar would be helpful, as I am new to this platform. THANKS!

PSS- Here is where I begin to miss the automatic "empty trash no-matter what" command by holding down "ctrl" while emptying. That and Norton's "Wipe Info Trash." Is there a version of this for OS X (I also just like to keep my HD squeaky-clean by wiping all my trash).

Attached Files:

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Re: Deleting "wordregister" in root folder!

You can log into root and delete it. Go to NetInfo, click on security on the menu bar, click authenticate, type in your password, then a root password, then click enable root...then log out, type in "root" as your username and the password you made for it, then you should be able to delete it. Just make sure to reverse the process to turn off root login so you don't accidentally ruin your computer.

3. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Re: Deleting "wordregister" in root folder!

You can also use 'sudo' from the command line. Launch the terminal app, or X11 (if you have it installed). Navigate to the directory that contains the file you want to obliterate ("cd /pathname/"). Then type "sudo rm filename". It will ask you for your password, then remove all traces of this file's existence.

Be aware that the command line is case sensitive, so "RM" and "rm" are not the same thing, as "Filename", "filename" and "FILENAME" are not.

HTH

4. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

for those not comfortable using the terminal, download delete it

5. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Basically what Snowy_river said. But do 'sudo rm -rf WordRegister'; if Wordregister is a package, it'll delete everything inside recursively (the 'r'). Also, the 'f' ensures that locked files are deleted as well.

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

All of the above is correct. I'd take an even shorter shortcut:

In a Terminal window, type

sudo rm -rf

with a trailing space after the -rf, but don't press RETURN yet. Find WordRegister in the Finder and drag it into the Terminal window. This will add the path and filename so you don't have to type them. Finally, click to active the Terminal window again and press RETURN.

7. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Hey, nice trick. I didn't know you could do that. Too bad it doesn't work with X11, too. (For most things I prefer X11, but now I'll have to remember this as a terminal trick for the future...)

8. Arielle thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, guys, buuuut...

Hey, so I did what "Powerbook G5" suggested, and successfully got rid of that file. But the problem is, I think that the bug was meant to operate in sort of a "search and destroy" mode, so it was too late; it was already ingrained in the program...
    .... to my dismay, trying to print thereafter still yielded the same results (ie- printing with the "Test Drive" text blocked across my Word doc). So I erased all traces of Microsoft Office by hand off my drive, and I find I now must go and waste my precious time spiting those jerks by just logging on in to BigMac Server on Hotline Client and PIRATING the SHINIEST, NICEST, NEWEST, most EXPENSIVE version I can of Microsoft Office, along with the CRACK for it! HA!
    (and until then, I can't do dick for wordprocessing! :rolleyes: )

As to what you other guys were suggesting (what with "sudo rm filename" and such), whoa babies- you've got poor little ol' me jus soooooh lost! Maybe one of you boys can come over and teach me ;)

PS- Apple developers deserve to be spanked for including such sneaky nasty software on these gorgeous new machines!