Delicious Library Dead?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lexus, Jul 16, 2006.

1. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

Is delicious library dead? There havent been any updates in a couple of months and I was wondering why.

Thanks

2. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

nope.

Check out Wil Shipley's blog and you'll see he mentions 2.0 here and there.

3. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

I love this program.. I bought it only about 3 weeks ago, or so... Showed the wife, she went off and scanned a heap of her books in, all our DVD's... she's just got CD's to go now (500'ish) heh heh...

hope the new version can have the ability to easily share/update the DB amongst multiple machines. maybe with bonjour or something...

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I need to jump on this bandwagon. It's silly that I don't, but then again...what can I scan with? I thought you could only scan with an isight? I ain't entering in each item I want to catalogue.

5. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

It will pull the info from the net. You don't have to type everything in. You can even drag URLs from amazon and it'll get all the data associated with it that way. Yeah, slower than scanning, but not much

6. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

If you don't have an iSight, you can just type in the barcode number. Better than typing in the title, which usually yields multiple items from which you choose the appropriate thing.
    I find typing the sku to be almost as fast as the iSight method.

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You can scan with any QuickTime support camera (FireWire, and maybe some USB cams), just like in iChat. I used my parents' Digital8 Sony.

8. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

how do you know if your camera supports QT?

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

It's the other way around. QuickTime that has to support the camera.

10. goodmacman macrumors newbie

11. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    If you don't own a shop or something, what are the benefits of this software?

I tried it, scanned some things, realized the massive amount of time it would take to scan everything, and came to the conclusion that for me this software would be just a novelty.

12. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I have about 250 DVDs... my friends know this. They borrow them a lot. Delicious Library lets me keep track of who has what. Half the time I forget I even loaned something out. That's my main use for it. I don't keep books or CD's in it... just console games and DVD movies.

13. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

ahhh, ok, so kind of like a friendly rental shop....

I thought of that as a possible reason to use this software too....cool.

14. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I'm a bit of an idiot then - I'd heard of Delicious Library but hadn't bothered checking it out in any detail, because I didn't want to have to type in 1000+ book titles and 250+ CD titles and 50+ DVD titles. So it scans the bar code? Cool.

15. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I thought about scanning in all my books and then downloading them onto the iPod so I don't end up buying the same book twice (as I've done a few times before) but it would take so long that I've never quite got round to it.

16. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Does anybody know if version 2 when avialble will require a new license or is it a free upgrade. I'm looking into buy it, don't know if I should wait :)

17. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

Delicious Library 1.6.2 on Sale for $20 right now

They're having what they call a "Gambler's Sale" in which they lower the price by $5 every week and will end the sale after four weeks or when they've sold a secretly predetermined number of copies, whichever comes first.

18. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Well considering it's normally $40 and now it's $20 and they're lowering it by $5 a week for a maximum of 4 weeks.... I'll let you solve for x... :p

19. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

"X," in this case, isn't the price. It's a secret number of copies that they're intending to sell during this sale. The danger in waiting is that at any moment, they could reach their sales goal and end the sale.

20. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

I've found that using a USB CueCat barcode scanner to be a fast way of entering details into DeliciousLibrary. The CueCat barcode scanner was shipped by the thousand during the dotcom bubble. You can find them for about $12 on ebay.

If you get a USB CueCat, OS X registers it as a second "keyboard" then you just open up delicious library and scan the barcode on the CD/Book/DVD. The CueCat delivers the barcode digits and DeliciousLibrary automatically looks up the item at Amazon. It takes a bit of practice to get used to the speed that you need to swipe the barcode but once you get the hang of it I find it faster than the iSight scanning method.

21. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

X isn't a number at all...

Initial price = $40
    Current price = $20
    Weekly price reduction = $5
    Maximum number of weeks for price reduction = 4

$40 - ($5 * 4) = $20

According to the info posted, the price isn't going to get any cheaper.

22. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I bought it for $20 yesterday. I'm a little disappointed in the frequency with which it can't find my books, even popular ones. The right book will usually appear below the failed entry, but it takes a fwe clicks to get it in. Other than that I'm glad I finally have this software, and plan to organize some shelves by where my movies/books are located. What is everyone's favorite web export function for DL?

23. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

I found it very difficult to use my iSight to scan stuff, and it wasn't always accurate, example: Harry Potter (book 6) after waving the bar code for a a few minutes....became some cooking book.:rolleyes:

24. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

Yeah, Harry Potter took some time for me too. The back of the book (Hardcover) is a little odd, so I can understand. I also got some random kids book about bunnies when I scanned Tales of Earthsea...

25. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Did the USB version require declawing? I have a non-declawed PS/2 version floating around here...

I just picked up DL for $20 and the built-in iSight is having trouble focusing well enough to see the barcodes. May try with my camcorder...

B