Delicious Library?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Phatpat, May 3, 2006.

1. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

Anyone know what's up with it? I was holding out until 2.0 to purchase, but it seems to have been stagnating for awhile. I know Apple stole a few of their devs, but regardless...

2. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I've tried that before..

It's pretty cool..you use the iSight to scan barcodes and make a little virtual library..it was pretty tough using the iSight to scan things, but after a few tries I could get it to work. I also scanned a Steven King Book and it came up as a southern cooking book..so..:confused:

My buddy uses it to categorize stuff and he likes it, but I found it to be kind of a novelty.

not sure about the new version, or what's up with it..

3. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

I love Delicious Library, works very well for me.

I'm looking forward to version 2.0, hopefully we'll see it around WWDC time.

4. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Its a good program if you have 1000 DVDs, 1000 books, 1000 games, and 1000 CDs. Other than that, $40 is way too much.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I was talking to the developers at MacWorld in January. They seemed to be having a problem getting it to work reliably with new built-in iSight cameras, which unlike the original iSight, are fixed-focus. Maybe that's the reason for the delay. A very cool application, if it works for you.

6. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

The latest version (1.6.2) fixed the iMac/MBP iSight problems. Works great on my MBP.

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I disagree (with your avatar too, but there are other threads for that :p). I have around 250 items in my library, and I think it was worth $40. And the support for any FireWire camera came in handy when I first got it and needed to scan all my CDs and such. Having a list on my iPod is very handy too.

8. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

Great little app, love it when you scan, say a Harry Potter DVD in with the voice activated to readback title it gives you a little 'Easter Egg' also. Won't spoil it for some! A few other DVD's I scanned in have hidden EEg's in the barcode (can't remember which off the top of my head).

Some one said not worth $40, I think it is, how much time and effort would it take to do it manually? I started it lots of times in Excel but never kept it complete, now a new item is scanned in before it hits my storage shelf, job done.

Download the trial and give it go.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm behind in the game and this is sort of off topic, but this sounds like a great app. Basically it would allow me to inventory things such as oh say 1000 star wars action figures? Don't ask...just say yes or no. hah hah.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Great -- they seemed to be struggling with the problem in January.

I also told the developers that the application was just this far away from being indispensable. We've got a large research library which we cite in our reports. Typing up references is a pain. If DL could export data in a standard bibliographic form, it would become utterly essential over night. I hope they are listening.

Anyway, I think Apple should buy this application, rename it iLibrary and bundle it with iLife. Everybody I've shown it to thinks it's a major wowser.

11. Phatpat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

Cool feature idea IJ Reilly; select your books, export bibliography. That would simplify things for a lot of people.

12. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I love this app. I'd love it even more if I could sync it to my iPod with the thumbnail images. That would prove quite helpful if in in a store and can't remember if I have a book or a movie.

13. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I do need to get this program for the vast amounts of anime i have so i remember what i own and who has what

14. weldon macrumors 6502a

weldon

No. There's your short answer.

Delicious Library will only catalog Books, CD's and DVD's. It uses Amazon's web services to look up information on those items from the UPC barcode, ISBN #, or title keywords. It's pretty nice, but DVD Profiler is a better program for DVD collectors that use Windows.

You should really look at Filemaker Pro to catalog your action figures. You could create a very easy to use catalog that would include all the information you want to track and leave room for a picture as well.

15. weldon macrumors 6502a

weldon

You should look at Sente from Third Street Software. This will not only let you search online library catalogs, but also keep bibliographies that integrate with Microsoft Word to produce correctly formatted citations in your papers.

Honestly, I think that would kill the application. Apple would lose interest in updating a niche app like this and it would become completely stagnant. At least Delicious Monster has the possibility of future revenues from upgrades and new users to keep them motivated to further improve the app.

Unfortunately, development seems to have stalled. I'm sure that the departure of one of the co-founders and one of the key developers contributed to the situation. I'd like to see some more features added to the app still. We'll see, I guess.

16. G99 macrumors 6502

G99

When I had this app, scanning my DVDs, books etc was really fun...

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

An interesting application, but it seems to do something very different than keep track of my research library.

The trick is to make it into a mainstream application. I wasn't too interested in keeping track of digital music or listening to internet radio until iTunes came along, and made it easy.

18. Dahl macrumors 6502a

While I think Delicious Monster is a fun program, it grows old fast.
    I have a ton of records and have only scanned though A. :)
    Also, if your taste is just a little off (like mine) Amazon isn't much help, many records are missing covers. I don't care if they were to sell to Apple, but I think I would prefer it.
    The ideal thing would be a program with iTunes, iTunes Catalog and D Monster together. All threee have great feature, but are lacking in other places.