Delivery companies..worst and best?

Discussion in 'Community' started by cheekyspanky, Nov 9, 2004.

1. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

Jan 21, 2004
    South Bucks, UK
    I'm currently having huge problems getting a parcel from DHL which they seem to keep sending around the country as opposed to sending to me. I plan to never use them again once this parcel arrives (if it ever does) - so which company would you recommend for orders you need quickly?
  2. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    UPS or FedEx I suppose. I've never really had a problem with either.

Any explanation from DHL on why you are getting the run around?
  3. andym172 macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2003
    NOT ParcelForce, they're absolutely awful! Steer clear.

TNT have always done a good job when I've dealt with them. Aside from them, you may want to try the small independant companies in your area.
  4. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    well UPS have coolest uniform if that helps... love those chocolate brown shirts they've got ;)
  5. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    I like fedx but am not thrilled with there ground service, they bought out roadway express and pumped money in but not a lot of results in my home town.

UPS is ok, but varies widely in my zone.
  6. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    We use a lot of carrier services for ourselves and our clients. I would rate the major carriers here as this:

FedEx (Airborne)
    UPS (Airborne)
    UPS (Ground)
    Airborne Express (Aquired by DHL*)
    FedEx (Ground)

*won't rate DHL yet as they are "new" but so far they seem to have the same level of "Service" as Airborne so far (Not overly suprising given that they employ the same poeple, just a new name).

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I've had really good luck with Airborne Express and FedEx but UPS is constantly disappointing, no matter where I've lived.

Of course, don't depend on the U.S. Postal Service. Many times, they're very quick but it's amazing how many times I've received only the envelope or even, half of that.
  8. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    I didn't Mention the USPS. Like bousozoku said they are hit or miss. I would probably put them above FedEx Ground and maybe Airborne Express but below the others.
  9. Blackstealth macrumors regular

Apr 27, 2003
    Bradford, UK
    I've tried many companies and always gone back to City Link, always prompt, always in one piece and the driver's always cheery.
  10. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I have always had good luck with Airborne Express, Fed-EX, and UPS. My packages have arrived in a timely manner and in good conditon. The drivers are friendly and well mannered.
  11. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    no kidding. when my new roommate moved in at the beginning of august, he had a big box filled with clothes and movies sent to the house. It never arrived. We assumed it had been stolen. they couldn't tell him anything (partially isi bad for not getting insurance and all the rest, but come on). it showed up a few days ago, three months afterwards, no explanation, no apology, and the box was totally beaten up and wrecked. I would never send anything by USPS that actually mattered if it was a large box that won't go with the regular mail. I'd use fedex and ups for that.
  12. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    I think I've received packages from all the big companies (FedEx, UPS, DHL, and USPS) and sent from USPS a lot.

FedEx is fine especially since they will sometimes come back the same day or let you pick up the same day as delivery.

UPS I like because they're the closest ones to me. Otherwise no preference towards them.

DHL is nice because today I called to have a package rejected while it was mid-transit. I've never been able to do that with FedEx or UPS.

USPS is usually really good. I've never had problems sending or receiving with them except on a rare occassion but it could be due to me using them more frequently.
  13. MattG macrumors 68040

May 27, 2003
    Fletcher, NC
    I've had bad experiences with all of them, however I'd say DHL is the worst. They're consistently late, they've lost several packages (at work), and for whatever reason, where I work is considered a "rural" area (even though we're on one of the busiest roads in one of the most heavily populated areas in Florida), so AM delivery isn't guaranteed, even if you pay for it. Bull****. I try to avoid them whenever possible. Unfortunately, Dell uses DHL as their carrier for parts orders/returns (where I work, it's all Dell except for my 3 Macs), so using them is unavoidable sometimes.

I use FedEx whenever possible. They're always on time, in fact, I usually get my deliveries early from them.
  14. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

I do ordering for my store and I find that FedEx ground constantly damages or crushes parts of boxes. While the stuff inside was ok, I was a bit worried if the box had been full it would have been damaged. UPS does a good job with ground shipments in my opinion.
  15. Yellow-tail macrumors newbie

Oct 24, 2004
    Gay Paradise
    DHL sucks. They left a package in front of door at first time of delivery. Usually, UPS and FedEx do leave a message or door tag if they can't contact with a receiver.
    ...And my package's gone :mad:
  16. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    as far as stuff i get from online retailers i just go with their standard (or free) delivery option. when i'm sending something i always use USPS. i haven't had any problems and there's a post office really close to my house which is definitely a plus.
  17. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2004
    The Ocean Floor
    Some companies as mentioned suck, but sometimes its the individuals who work there that suck the most. Rude and unhelpful people are usually to blame, it just happens that some of these companies have more than a few! Anyway here in the UK I am always relieved when I see a Business Post van/truck (they're the ones with a duck in a suit and tie on the side of them:D) as I've had guitars and macs and other things arrive to my door in perfect condition. But now I see that Business Post has been bought out by or is in partnership with FedEx. Will it make a difference? I don't really know but yes Parcel Force does suck extrememly bad here, as does royal mail for that matter. Bring on the independent postal services! Hopefully they'll put Royal Mail in their place and force them into providing a better service. The number or issues of Creative Review that I've had torn and violently folded over the years is beyond a joke. :mad:
  18. dsharits macrumors 68000

Jun 19, 2004
    The People's Republic of America
    My experience with DHL was awesome. They lost my iBook G3 800 on its way back from a logic board replacement, and they had to buy me a brand new iBook G4 1.2 GHz! :D But seriously, they are not nearly as good as FedEx or UPS.

19. cheekyspanky thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 21, 2004
    South Bucks, UK
    Well it seems to be DHL are blaming the company I ordered the item from, and the company are blaming DHL. DHL claim my address wasnt correctly given to them in the order so the parcel couldn't be delivered. Then after many calls it was established that the parcel had been sent to my local branch and was being held there for further instructions. I rang them and asked for it to be delivered last Tuesday, tuesday came and went, I called them again, apparantly all of my requests are logged on the file - but none of them have been followed and the parcel has been sent off to the European dispatch centre ready to be sent back to Germany. After a few more calls it has been established that they basically don't know where the parcel is as all thats showing on the system is "in transit" which it's been showing for the last 3 days now, so in their words "We'll have to wait until it turns up where ever it's heading then give you a call"

So a 48 hour delivery has now turned into a 3 week delivery with no actual definite delivery date yet confirmed.

20. quagmire macrumors 603

Apr 19, 2004
    DHL: never used can't say.

Fedex: it is an ok service. when I bought my powerbook I paid for the 2 day delivery. Well, I got it a day late. But, that was it.

UPS: The best IMO. I would always get the package on time/early.

USPS: The worst ever. They would drive up in my drive way and give me the package and then backup and put my mail in the mailbox. I was like, " WTH?" I was there to recieve the package so why they didn't give me my mail is stupid.
    When a site linked me the shipping status to there site, it would always pop up as unfound.
  21. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    For ground I have had problems with fedex ground, although I think thay may be getting better. My biggest complaint with them is that, although they call themselves "fedex" it still functions like a seperate company. We do a lot of shipping (I am the mail room/telephone operator/Receptionist for 40 seperate companies) and we need seperate accounts, pickup and delivery for both ground and "airborne" FedEx. Remindes me of the Sprint Ads diggininto AT&T with the two guys wearing one suit. UPS is not like that at all, its all the same to them.

I have had a few serious problems with them, but my biggest problem with them is pricing (and partially shipping services). After a few pounds USPS cost goes way up, and if you factor in delivery confirmation/signature request that you get as part of the fee with the other package services the price becomes unreasonable.

Also first class mail is basically next day (during non peak times of the year) from a major city to another (ei Boston to New York) but if yuo pay the extra for "priority mail" its only "garateed" to be there in two to three days. Basically I have found that Priority Mail for anything under a pound is a scam. Express mail (USPS's "overnight" offering) is bad at best. Overly costly and their delivery confirmation is autrocious.

My list:
    USPS for any single piece of correspondance that doesn't need to be there quick and doesn't have great value.

UPS Ground for larger items or items of value that don't need imediate delivery.

FedEx (Overnight, 2nd Day, Express Saver (3 day)) for items needing to be there quickly.

That is my personal prefrence, your milage may vary.
  22. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    Temptingly Bad

UPS regularly deliver to offices and store around where I work and often have various hardware on board. I know this because the driver will pull up in the delivery space near my office open the rear roller door and take a parcel for delivery leaving the door wide open with all the other parcels on display!

I’ve thought about ordering myself a Mac and specifying UPS delivery and then ordering the same again for an address further down the street and waiting until he parks up and helping myself.

Also went to the local depot of another local delivery company and asked to collect my iBook. The guy in the office pointed to the other end of a approx.20,000sqft open sided shed and let me go and get it myself. It was sitting there next to everyone else’s stuff right next to a pallet of JVC miniDV camcorders at £1,500 a time! I literally drove my car up and was allowed to load my iBook into the boot myself. I didn’t but if I had they could not have done a thing if I’d helped myself to anything else.
  23. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Feb 19, 2003
    Planet Zebes
    I prefer UPS.
    I've never had problems with Airborne Express (DHL).
    I will occassionally use USPS.
    I never use FedEx.....I've had lots of problems with them.
  24. acceber macrumors regular

Jul 26, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    My worst nightmare. When I was getting my iBook and Airport Basestation, I made my mum promise me that she wouldn't leave the house that day (cause I had to go to school). The whole package arrived about a week late, so mum eventually forgot about staying at home anyway. The packaged arrived fine, just late.
  25. jaw04005 macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    I have constant problems with both UPS and FedEx. When I'm here at college, FedEx likes to leave my "signature required" packages on my front porch in view of the entire neighborhood. When I'm at "home" (which is out in the country), FedEx will not leave my package without a signature, and has no set round-about time they deliver. Sometimes they deliver at 9 a.m., sometimes at 5 p.m. Go figure.

My favorite by far is Airborne Express. I've used Airborne for pretty much everything since Fry's Outpost started using them. I've never had a problem, and if I have a package that is signature required, they have went out of there way to deliver it to my grandparents (who live across town) or my family's local business.