Dell 19" hooked up to my TiPB

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ok, just had to mention this. It sounds bad, and part of me flinches knowing I'm using the Dell, but I got a 19" Dell LCD from work for my PowerBook as a second/primary monitor.

I have the 667 MHz with the lower res screen (1152x768) and trying to do graphics with that has been a bit tough. So I finally convinced the powers that be that I needed a new screen.

And even though I'd love an Apple or even Formac LCD, the Dell ended up being the best buy, $700 for a 19". And its quite nice, BTW.

I think that with the recent price drop on the Apple LCDs things are a little better, but you still end up paying a premium for the things. And when it comes time for me to buy an LCD for my new PowerMac at home, I'm thinking the 20" from Apple - it will be more expensive, but after seeing one in person I was sold. But by then, I'm hoping they'll have some rebates going.

Anyone else using a Dell with their mac?

D

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i assume you saw the 20" at the apple store?

hmm. maybe i need to make a trip this weekend.

i think that thing is the single most appealing apple product to me at the moment.....

3. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

yes, it truly is a nice piece of hardware. If I could have convinced people that the extra inch and twice the price of the Dell was reasonable, I'd have one right now. But unfortunately, beggers can't be choosers.

D

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

yeah. my problem is i have a 15" apple lcd.... and 19" crt (i think it's 19... could be 17 i guess)... but i think for graphics it's good to have one of each.... so if i were to replace one, i'd replace the 15", which would require something worth replacing it with of course....

ahh well.

5. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Not using a Dell, but I use Cornea Systems 17" with DVI, composite, and S-Video input and built-in TV-tuner. Cost: $550. Yeah, Apple definitely charges a premium for its displays. They are beautiful, but my Cornea is fantastic also, at a much lower price.

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I've got a Dell 15" LCD hooked up as my second monitor on my MDD at work. Primary monitor is an Apple 17" LCD.

The Apple display is brighter, has better color and wakes up from sleep faster. If the budget weren't so bad here in the CSU system I'd be bucking for a second 17"...