Dell 1901FP $519 Buy it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by zagato27, Sep 14, 2003.

1. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

Just saw where Dell has it's 1901FP on sale for $519. Been looking at 17" and 19". They also have the Planar PX171M on sale at around $430. Like the specs of the Planar but the Dell 19" is bigger and has 4 USB 2 hub on it and for about $100 more seems like quite a deal. I've seen some comments on the Dell and they are very favorable. Anybody have any experience with the Dell? How about warranty, ie bad pixels etc. is Dell good to deal with? Gotta make a decision on this one as the sale goes till the 17th. Thanx.

2. jzieske macrumors regular

Dell and Apple consistnely swap places for the best rated customer service in the industry so as far as customer service goes I would feel fine about Dell. I have not used that paticular Dell monitor before but as you said I have also heard very good things. My recomendation is buy it.

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Dell LCD's are superb.

Gateway LCDs are also superb. Not a single dead pixel on my 18.1" $402.00 LCD.

scem0

4. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

Wait until Tuesday ...

I have no evidence, just a feeling that Apple's display line up will see some changes come Tuesday morning.

There are quite a few better deals out there and I have a feeling Apple knows this. If there were minor changes, I think they would have been quietly introduced this weekend at IBC. I think the Paris Expo is going to have a few surprises for us.

I really like the Apple 20" but that price tag is a bit heavy. When I replace my order, I may drop back to the 17" and upgrade the hard drive or add more RAM or maybe get an iPod. Then again when I look at the 17" I'll keep wishing I had gotten the 20" ... aahhhh.... it's so frustrating. :)

5. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

Couldn't pass up this deal, I bought the Dell UltraSharp 1901FP for $555 ($519 plus $36 tax) and free shipping. Thanks for you input and this forum for some valuable info and experiences. NOW, I'm waiting for Paris to see if Panther is released. Then it's time to order my G5 1.6 :D. Hmmm, even if Panther doesn't come out it's time to order. Been getting lucky: Office X educator/student edition for $99 from Amazon (in my hot little hands now); Dell 1901FP ordered and confirmed. Now crossing my fingers on Panther.

6. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

Ok, I know that all the talk is about the new PBs. I'm with you. Down a bit that they didn't have G5s but still they look sweet, especially the 15". Maybe I'll be getting one next year. Right now it's time to order my G5 1.6. The good news is that the Dell 1901 FP arrived FEDEX today. Pretty darn quick as I ordered it on Monday 15 Sep. Especially quick since shipping was free and DELL and FEDEX said that it wouldn't arrive till 22 Sep. I'm happy, very happy. Just wish that I could hook it up to the G5 right now:mad: . I've been delaying ordering hoping that Panther would be announced in Paris. Shucks, no luck on that. Well, I plan on ordering this Sat or Sunday. Who knows with the delay in ordering shipping I might get lucky and actually get Panther. Ok, my luck's not that good. Maybe I'll get a coupon for it at the reduced price of $20. Here's wishing. Anyway, I can't wait to get this monitor up and running. Actually can't wait to rip open the box but am waiting for my son to get home so he can help out.:D

7. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

WHEEEEEEEEE!!!!! Waited for my son to open this baby up with me but couldn't wait any longer to fire it up. Plugged it in and NO DEAD Pixels!!!!! Hooked it up analog to my old Dell 266 and this baby is AWESOME! The screen is HUGE and very clear. Can't wait to see what it looks like with DVI on my G5. Ordering that puppy Sat or Sunday. Highly reccommend this baby especially at the price DELL was offering it at. Yeah, I know that it says DELL and I'm about to be back in the Mac world but this is one sweet monitor.:D :D

8. jzieske macrumors regular

Good to hear more confirmation that Dell monitors are worth it. Have fun with it.

9. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

Just an update. My G5 came in last week and a I hooked up the Dell 1901FP to it. The G5 immediately recognized it. No darn drivers to download, no trying to tell it which monitor it was. I'm in heaven:p . The digital hookup is wonderfull. I've been able to adjust the resolution a bit and that has been a great adjustment. Actually went down from it's native resolution and it still looks great. I don't care one wit that "Dell" is on the front of this monitor. IT IS SUPER!!!!! Highly recommend especially when you can pick it up on sale every couple of weeks. SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET. BTW, "The Missing Manual....the book that should have been in the box" is terriffic! Worth the price just for the tip on "menulets" and being able to put display resolution up on the top bar. This is sooooo cool. I mean WAAAAAAAAAAAAY Cool:D

10. fraeone macrumors regular

fraeone

mm I'm jealous. I got a Dell 1800FP a while back for next to nothing and it's great--no bad pixels/subpixels, and very sharp, but the 1910 is just tha tmuch better :) enjoy.

11. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

I have a 1901 attached to my G5 at work and LOVE it, absolutely great. Only wish it was wide screen format, but none the less, its worth the price.

12. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

WOW! A G5 at work. Pretty neat. What kind of work do you do? How'd you get the boss to spring for a G5 and a 1901. Niiiiiiiice.

13. shawnjackson macrumors newbie

well... i can tell you that i just picked up a 1901fp from dell and it is amazing. I have it hooked up to my tibook and all I can say is wow! the DVI makes everything razor sharp, and I just couldn't be happier.

14. dornball macrumors member

$$

how much are they going for these days?

-dornball

15. Genie macrumors 6502a

Genie

[​IMG]

This looked great cause I'm looking for 3 black 19" monitors with thin bezels for around $500 each.

Anybody know where I can find some?

16. shawnjackson macrumors newbie

sure... you can find the dell 1901fp at... dell...

seriously though, they usually have a 20% off once a month or so for a couple days, its a good time to pick it up for ~520 plus tax, but free shipping. also, you may want to sign up to get their junkmail becuase occassionally you get a 10% code (or you can buy one on ebay for like 2 bucks) and that way you can pick up a 1901fp for about 470

it truly is an awesome monitor, and it puts my tibooks lcd to shame, as well as my friends 20 inch cinema display.

17. Genie macrumors 6502a

Genie

WOW! That's just what I'm looking for- you can combine the 10% off with the 20% off? So you can you get 3 BLACK 19" ones for $470 each?

These are the ones with the thin bezels like the samsung 191t, right?

18. Genie macrumors 6502a

Genie

Anybody seen any black 19" or 17" lcd monitors with thin bezels for a good deal?

I need 3!

19. Genie macrumors 6502a

Genie

oops- see below...

20. Genie macrumors 6502a

Genie

I just saw Dell is offering these for $577 (that's factorin in a 15% discount, they say until Thursday Nov 6.
    I'd sure like to get a code to get it down into that $470ish region you're talking about.