Dell 2001FP/2005FPW dilemma

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Chip NoVaMac, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Saw the postings here on MR about the Dell 2005FPW wide screen. Placed my order on Dec 3rd. My fault for not checking the order confirmation closely. Told the rep I wanted the 20" wide screen monitor. Guess what, she ordered and shipped the 2001FP.

To say the least I am bummed. Spoke with the people at Dell. They were helpful somewhat. The choices before me are:

1) To wait for the 2005FPW to come back in stock, and they'll match the $599 price that I paid for the 2001FP.

2) Keep the 2001FP, and they'll credit me $100 off what I already have paid, making the final cost $499.

Not sure how much difference the specs make for DTP/Photography work:

I have to say there is a cool factor to having a wide screen. I am not in to gaming, just PS and InDesign work. Just wanted more desktop space than what I have with my PB 12" rev. B.

Any thoughts as to what I should do? What would you all do in my situation? A hundred dollars saving would be nice to the bottom line.

Thanks all for your two cents on this.
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Obviously you don't need the $100 back. So I'd get them to ship you out a 2005FPW when they have them. There's just something about the wide look :cool: Also for DTP and stuff wide seems better, as you can fit 2 pages next to each other at the same time ;)
  3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    Well... don't waste your time with speaking to Dell... reject the 2001FP and get them to send you the 2005FPW. It's not like you *need* the new monitor today... wait a week extra and you'll be happier for it... :)

I ordered a 2005FPW at $799 then 2 days later it went to $650... I tried to get Dell to refund me the difference but the only way I could do that (and I spoke, e-mailed, and online chatted with about 6 different people) was to reject the first one and place a new order. I hated having to reject it but... $150 was worth the rejection... I called up DHL, gave them the tracking number and never even saw the package (otherwise I might have broke!)... then a week later my cheaper one came...

Well worth the wait. I just dislike Dell customer service and their "policy" that they kept referring to which was then told it wasn't policy but a courtesy... a courtesy which the only instance of existed in a post in their online forum... anyhow... not buying from Dell again if I can help it... :rolleyes: But I do like the 2005FPW.

I also purchased the Ergotron Neo-Flex arm to mount the monitor to and like it mainly because it saves some desk space...

Anybody need an additional 2005FPW stand? :) (just kidding... ya can't have it!)
  4. nels0360 macrumors member

Jun 16, 2004
    I would go with the widescreen. It is very nice to have two windows side by side, in my opinion.

I have the 2005 hooked up to my 12" PowerBook. It's the best of both worlds.
  5. Tarlach macrumors newbie

Jun 18, 2002
    Dell 2005FPW

I got my Dell 2005FPW yesterday (12/14) for $604 from Dell. It has shipped already too.

There is no comparison betweek the 2001 and 2005. The 2005 beats it in anyway you want to look, except vertical height. I would rather have the widescreen format plus the higher specs in every category than have a few more pixels in height.

I got a discount coupon from Dealmac ( and Dell already had it for 20% off with free shipping. Hard to beat that deal.
    I notice today it is back up to over $700.