Dell 2005fpw 20" or Apple 20" display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Rob587, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

I know that the dell has better specs and a $300 better price, but there must be some reason why people still buy the apple 20"? Which one should I go for? Any reasons to take the apple? With what I currently know, it seems like any sane person would be a total fool if the bought an apple 20" display? your thoughts?

P.S will be plugging it into a 15" pb.

2. amoildani macrumors member

some people probably for the look. others probably because they want to buy from Apple and may think they'll be getting more quality..?
    Id rather have all my things be the same brand, so that if anything goes wrong, i only have one place to call, plus, Applecare is pretty nice.

I hear the dell monitor is nice though, i just hate how it looks

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The advanatge of the Apple LCDs is also the SWOP certification if you do pre-press stuff.

Also keep in mind at Xmas, the 2005FPW could be had as low as $550.

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Well, if you went to an Apple Store, and saw a Apple LCD in person, you'd understand why some people eat the cost anyway and get one. I'm tempted to do the same even though the more sane side of myself is screaming murder if I do :D

The Dell is a GREAT deal for a GREAT monitor. But you lose the metal. Oooh shiny... :D

5. billyb macrumors member

me too

I'm making the exact same decision. With educational discounts, last I checked my total price was about $700 for the Dell and $950 for the Apple, though that may have changed. I also heard that the LCDs are identical...same supplier (LG, I think). The Apple has beauty (of course), but more importantly for me, the 2 FW ports. I'm planning to plug it into a 12" PB, and it'd be nice not to have all my FW ports taken up by an external HD. Also, the single cord into the Apple beats the 3 (power, DVI, USB) into the Dell...I'm not terribly into asthetics, but my wife would prefer a neater desk, as it's in the bedroom!

The Dell isn't THAT horrid looking--I'm leaning that way, but could still be convinced otherwise. anyone?

-bb

6. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

well im leaning twords the apple just because I havent seen the dell in real life and buying something i havnt seen scares me... especially for so much money.

7. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

umm apple monitor have 3 cords coming out of them. they are just tied together. You still have to plug it in to an extreanl powersorces, Sill have to plug in the firewire and then the DVI into the computer.

8. mstecker macrumors 6502

It's a toss up

I have both a new-school 20" Cinema and a 2005FPW in the same room, hooked to different macs. They both look great. I got in on the amazing deals they were offering at xmas for around $550. For that price, the 2005FPW was a no-brainer.

The apple display looks a little better - but only in exterior cosmetics. I can't tell the difference as far as the actual display goes.

9. billyb macrumors member

yes, of course; I'm just referring to what you see on your desk, which is one cord. The cord does split up later to the power, DVI, USB, and FW.

b

10. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

You can always wrap up those cords and make it look like one cord!

(Yeah I know it'll look like a hack job :D )

11. archer75 macrumors 6502a

The Dell goes on sale quite often for $550. Keep an eye on www.gotapex.com for the coupon codes.

12. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

yea, thats what it runs new in the box on ebay most of the time with shipping.. but basically the general response that Im getting is "If uve got some extra cash, the apple is alot more cosmetically pleasing, if u dont, the dell is great"....?

13. billyb macrumors member

thanks for the link, I haven't seen that one. I'm not in a huge rush, so I'll wait for a price like that and buy.

-bb

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The Dell is a better monitor, while Apple's looks better. Both companies get their panels from LG, but Dell gets the better ones. Just check out the specs.

Unless you have money to throw around, I'd get the Dell. Why? Because I'm not going to pay Apple an extra $300 for a monitor that I KNOW isn't better than Dell's. May as well just burn it, or mail it to Steve Jobs directly. If you have the money, buy the Apple for the aluminium --- for looks. But you know what? Even if I was rich, I'd still buy the Dell because I'm not THAT poor at handling money. ;)

And I'm not vain enough to buy a monitor for my house because it looks purdy on my desk. How many people would need to see my Apple display in order for me to justify spending $300 USD on it?

The only technical reason to justify buying the Apple display over the Dell is the ports, but I don't need Apple's ports THAT badly. If you do, then buy the Apple.

15. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

If I'm going to fork out hundreds of dollars for anything, it better run great AND look great. Why settle for less when you are spending the dough anyway?? Surely in the grand scheme of things, $200 bucks isn't going to break the bank when it comes to getting what you really want. I'm sure the resale value on the Apple will be much higher as well.

And I agree...the Dell is one ugly mo fo. I guess you could tear that POS stand off of it and mount it on the wall. Actually, probably wouldn't help anyway, as it is black...just doesn't go with the whole program. Maybe if you just get a Dell PC it will match better. I hear they have some great specials on those as well... :D

16. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

If you dont plan on ever selling it why would you care about the resell value.

17. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

Becaz few people can ever plan for anything in this life. I didn't plan on changing my Powerbook just 9 months after I bought it :rolleyes:

Get the Apple monitor; I did, and it looks incredible. Performance isn't an issue for the average user, and tbh, I've heard few negative comments from the professionals either.

The resale value will be great, as is the case with most Apple products.

andy.

Edit: Incidentally, and not to hijack the thread - given the choice, would you use a stock new Powerbook 12in combo w/ 20in Apple display OR a stock new 15in combo? Just a question :)

18. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

lets me put it another way. if you dont plan on selling it in the next 2-3 years why does resell value matter. I always find it kind of sad how people brag about something resell value and off corse there never going to sell it so it was a point less thing. the only time resale value matters is if you are going to sell an item other wise who cares.

19. jrober macrumors regular

jrober

I am choosing the Dell. Despite having Apple kit foreverything else in my house (iMac, Powerbook, Airport Express, iSight, BT Mouse....). The winner for me is the ability to send other signals into the Dell. I'm hooking up my X-Box via S-video as well something Apples monitor with DVI only could not do.

Do you plan on hooking anything else up?

Also for me the best £ for £ widescreen monitor i have found.

John

20. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Forgot to mention that one. I have my PB hooked up via DVI, my eMac (with spanning hack) via VGA, and plan on my old Nintendo 64 box via composite, and I have the s-video left over for my cable TV if I decide to go that route.

21. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

C'mon, if you are going to hook up an Xbox or Playstation, use the 50" widescreen sitting in your living room.... :D

22. Jsmit macrumors regular

It shoould only be one, yourself. Yes the dell is a better value. I use a Dell monitor every now and then (I don't know the model, it is not mine), and everytime I touch I think it is going to break. The plastic feels cheap. It has no heft. I am always conscious about it. I guess in the end it is personal preference. I myself have not been able to justify the cost of the Apple screen yet, but I find myself drooling over them.

23. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Dell advantages:

-it pivots for portrait mode
    -it's substantially cheaper with those discounts
    -it's got DVI, VGA, composite and s-video inputs
    -it's got picture-in-picture modes
    -it does not need an external power block

Dell disadvantages:
    -it's ugly (sigh... otherwise I would have snapped one right up last week)
    -many users complain about uneven backlighting problems (do a search for the 2005fpw and read some of the forums)

24. Smileyguy macrumors 6502

Have you considered one of the last generation of cinema displays, which are of excellent quality (SWOP certified) and cab be picked up for $800. (Less for a 'like new' one)

25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Excellent displays? The old Apple LCD displays are even worse. I truly and honestly wouldn't spend $400 on one of those older displays, let alone $800 just to have an "all-Mac" setup. Surely LG can offer you a better deal, as they're the ones Apple get their LCD panels from. I can also get a better display from other companies that don't feel cheap. They won't look bad, either. It just won't be Apple.