Dell 2005FPW on ebay

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by g5_11, Jul 16, 2005.

1. g5_11 macrumors member

g5_11

I am a canadian resident and am planning to buy a new lcd monitor. My two choices are between the 2005fpw and the apple 20 inch. Here, the apple costs $899 plus tax with the education discount. The dell is $859. Recently I was browsing ebay and saw a few people and businesses selling the dell lcds for about $579 canadian. As the coupons that many users from the US talk about are not available in canada as far as I'm aware this deal on ebay would obviously be enough to persuade me to buy one. Has anyone else done this? Would these be companies who got quite a few of them really cheap in the US and realize they can still make a profit on ebay while saving people like me money? Is this a good deal or does anyone else know otherwise?

Thanks

2. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

Currently you can use a few coupons to get the Dell LCD for $430 (~ Can$538) off of Dell. Most of these people get the Dell for cheaper and then turn around and resell it on eBay. $430 (~ Can$538)is a fairly common "good" price you can get it from Dell from. By that I mean that it is fairly common to have coupons available reducing the price to this range. It is much more rare, but they can also be had for around $350 (~ Can$437)from Dell as well (I believe this price was available only once).

I don't know if Dell would ship this to you in Canada or not though. Maybe if you are close enough to the border that you can get it shipped somewhere? Here are the two codes you need to get it down to the $430 (~ Can$437) price (taken from slickdeals.net).

34% off Dell 2005FPW 20.1" LCD with code: 33KW3147ST500M (exp. after 2000 uses or 7/18/05 @ 5:59 AM CST)
    $60 off $500 with code: M1LC?KT3MMTGT$

Edit: Added Canadian Equivalents

3. danny_w macrumors 601

I would say that if there is any way possible to get it from Dell at a decent price instead of from eBay, then by all means get it straight from Dell. I don't know how these things work in Canada, but I used the coupons just last weekend to get one for $436 USD (the list is $749 USD). Does the Canadian Dell website show a place to add coupon codes on the "shopping cart" page? If so, then try to add the codes above and see what happens.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I am giddy. I just bought one of these about 10 seconds ago!

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The point is, Canadians cannot buy from the Dell USA store, and the coupons ffrom Dell USA cannot be used in the Canadian store. Dell.ca rarely if ever puts sales on the monitors (having said that, a 20% off sale just ended yesterday - good but not spectacular price.)

So unless the Canadian buyer has a friend in the US who is willing to buy then ship the unit, direct comparison of US - CAN pricing is not productive.

6. danny_w macrumors 601

I just looked at the Canadian Dell site, and it does have a place to enter coupon codes. I tried the codes listed on dealmac.com and they did not work, but perhaps there are Canadian codes that will work. Is there a Canadian (or non-US) version of dealmac,com or slickdeals.net here you can get coupon codes?

7. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Just keep in mind that if you buy from eBay, the quality of the monitor won't be guaranteed. That is, if there are dead pixels, you might not be able to get Dell to replace it (no warranty?) unless there's some way to transfer ownership of the LCD to you.

If you buy direct from Dell, you can return/exchange for another one very easily.

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Also remember that Canadian Customs will require you to pay GST on your shipped item (if it's worth over a certain amount; can't remember the exact figure right now) before they will release the shipment. Yes, there's a Free Trade Agreement but that only waives the duty and not the GST.

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

And PST depending on your province, and an $8 - 16 service charge.

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Oh yeah, that too. Any idea what the service charge is for?

So much for free trade, eh?

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It's for brokerage, the service of collecting your money and sending it to Canada Revenue. Under a certain $ threshold it's $8.00, can't remember what that threshold is however.

If you send by UPS Standard however, they charge $16 - 40 for customs brokerage depending on the value of the shipment (plus tax on the brokerage). Avoid UPS for cross border shipments.

It's still free trade, the goods are duty free, the charges are for all the middlemen who handle your paper.

12. g5_11 thread starter macrumors member

g5_11

I have looked for coupons for canada, but most of them are for computers and are quite useless. I am going to make a quick check again. The ebay listers I am looking at have more than one in stock and say they are new in box. Some of them will transfer warenty and ownership.

13. g5_11 thread starter macrumors member

g5_11

Yes the only coupons that are for lcd now are 10% off which is pretty much useless. Has anyone else brought an item across the border with ebay?

14. weldon macrumors 6502a

weldon

I bought a 2005FPW a month or so ago for $396 + tax. I love the display. It has some nice features over the Apple, particularly the VGA and S-Video inputs. I use the DVI-D for my desktop PC and the VGA for my PowerBook G4 12" (no DVI). Works great. If you're not in a hurry, there will be a confluence again (no estimate) when you can use the 30%+ off and the $75 off coupons together. These deals seem to happen about once a quarter.

15. g5_11 thread starter macrumors member

g5_11

The deal you talked about is only a 40 dollar saving over what I can get over ebay now so I am going to look into what the charges would be.