Dell 2005FPW Q's

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jscheiman, Apr 5, 2005.

1. jscheiman macrumors member

OK, I have two questions that may present me as being a fool on the topic but I just need to ask anyway:

1. After searching through many electronics sites and choosing this monitor, none list it as being compatible with Apple. I thought most all monitors today are pretty much plug & play.

So, I am assuming after reading people's posts here that I would have no issue running this on a PM G5. But in case I am wrong I'm just looking for clarification.

2. Also on all these review sites as well as Dell, I see the only screen resolution listed as 1680x1050. Does it not support any lesser such as a 1600x1200 or 1280x1024 because of its wide screen aspect ratio? Again, just looking for more concrete information on these minor issues.

Thanks for your help!

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yes, it will work with a PM G5 fine.

1680x1050 is the native resolution, any G5 card will support it. Why would you even want to use anything less? (though yes, you can use lower resolutions)

3. jscheiman thread starter macrumors member

Thanks edesignuk, I was pretty sure these that I should have known these answers but I just want to make sure I don't waste money on something that was going to either not work on my machine or be very limited.

4. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Yup, plug and play on my 12" Powerbook. Just beautiful.

All LCD monitors have a "native" resolution that they work best at. It's no coincidence that this resolution is the physical number of pixels they have in the display -- this Dell has 1,680 pixels across and 1,050 down. If you ask it to display any other resolutions, say 800x600, it either uses 800 pixels (of 1,680) and shows up real small on the display, or it does some pixel sharing and resizing tricks to blow it up large. Either way, these don't look so good, for obvious reasons.

This is unlike CRT monitors, where a "pixel" is not so much a discrete electronic component in the display, but just a point of light being zapped by an electron gun, which can be adjusted to accompany varying widths and dot thicknesses. That's why you can run so many resolutions on a CRT and they all look fine.

5. jscheiman thread starter macrumors member

notjustjay: So you really like the monitor? I am just waiting for another computer coupon offer online before I can really afford to buy it, plus it's rumored to be on backorder?

I guess I'll have to go to one of our local malls and check out the Dell kiosk just to experience it in person. It seems like a great value when you throw in those extra coupons.

6. supergod macrumors 6502

7. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Here's mine with the ol' 17".

I whole-heartedly agree with supergod, it is freakin' awesome.

Attached Files:

8. jscheiman thread starter macrumors member

I might just have to buy it sight unseen! I don't know when I'll be able to find the time to physically get a look at it.

I believe I've read more than enough posts and reviews (just about all being positive) to sell me on it at this point that I don't need anymore convincing, especially based on the bargain deal it is!

9. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

The 25% off deal ends Wednesday the 6th, so if you want to get it, order by then.

10. Eastend macrumors 6502

I bought the Dell screen last week along with a Mac Mini, works great, no problems. 1680 X 1050 at 60 Hz. DVI is on the Mini and VGA is on an old PowerBook, even the book with 8 MB video card is running at full resolution, however it does not have enough memory to run iPhoto screensaver on it, the Mini does it all.

Brian

11. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Well, I admit I don't have a 20" Apple LCD to compare it to... but on it's own merits, it's amazing. About the only bad thing I would have to say about it is that my 12" Powerbook's display PALES in comparison... literally. I just don't like looking at things on the 12" display anymore, they're darker and smaller... I've been spoiled on the large screen.

Yeah, that and the black plastic ain't as slick as all aluminum. But hey, at $599 Cdn (the price of a Mac mini), you can't really go wrong.

12. ----Bowie---- macrumors regular

Does any one know if it will work with full resolution on my PowerMac G4 (MMD) that has a ATI Radeon 9000 Pro. :confused: :confused:

13. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I'm sure it will. I had your same machine and was able to run resolutions up to 2056x1542.