Dell 2005fpw: USB Hub Problems.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by supergod, Oct 10, 2005.

1. supergod macrumors 6502

My monitor which I have had for about half a year has developed the following problem: when I restart the computer or awake it from sleep, any devices connected to the machines USB hub are no longer recognized (specifically, my iPod). Plugging and unplugging the device does not do anything. The only thing that can get my computer to recognize the device again is to unplug and plug back in the main USB cable from the monitor to the computer (the one that carries the signal and power to and from the USB hub on the monitory).

I checked Dells site to see if they had an Drivers for OS 10.4.2 thinking that must be the problem, but they only have drivers for Windows. Anyone experiencing the same thing or have any ideas for a solution?

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Does it happen with low-power USB devices, too? ie Mice, keyboards, etc...?

3. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Same thing happens with my 1704FPT (the 2005FPW's little brother).

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Again, is that with low-power USB devices or just high-power, like the iPod?

5. supergod thread starter macrumors 6502

I only connect High-Powered USB devices to the monitor, but I can try doing it today with alternatives (mouse, keyboard). Is there any reason that it would work with one and not the other?

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Technically I'm not sure why, but it seems probable that the Dell might not be equipped to supply high-powered devices with current without drawing from the computer's USB controller. Or, the Dell may simply not notice the absence of the computer and may not recognize that the computer is trying to reconnect to those devices?

7. Timeline macrumors newbie

Yes defiantly! There must be a generic Mac OS driver somewhere that will make it work.

8. lbailey45 macrumors newbie

I have a 2005fpw too, and everything works fine except the usb hub. I tried with my mouse and keyboard (low power devices), and no luck.

If I remember correctly, the two on the side are supposed to be low power, and the two on the bottom are supposed to be powered, and I tried all - with my mouse.

I then wondered if my computer was even recognizing the usb hub, and ran System Profiler (Apple Menu>About This Mac, then clicked "More Info") and clicked on USB under "Hardware".. (as suggested in http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=313106) and no Dell USB hub shows up.

Anyone have any idea why?

Or where I can find a Mac OS driver?

I remember having a problem when I first got this monitor and was using it with a PC (2-3 years ago), but then I somehow fixed it, or it resolved itself. I don't remember (dammit!). I am sure that it was working, with the PC, at one point.

9. Celeron macrumors 6502a

I have a 2005FPW and my USB works just fine in OS X 10.5.5. It also worked in Tiger just fine also. I have my keyboard and mouse plugged into the hub on the monitor.