Dell 2005FPW Warranty Help/Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sacerdotalist, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Sacerdotalist macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I bought a Dell 2005FPW LCD from eBay sometime last year and it has now crapped out. It's still well within the warranty period and Dell's warranty is fully transferable, so there shouldn't be any problem there. However, I have neither their cursed "Express Service code" (because they don't exist with standalone monitors, I think) nor the purchase record on my account, because I didn't make the original purchase. Without one of these two things no one at Dell will even begin talking to me about the problem or an exchange (nope, Serial # won't do!).

As of now this seems to leave me totally without recourse(I haven't tried contacting the eBayer, but given that I think it was a high volume seller and a very long time ago I don't think there's any help there). Has anyone dealt with a problem like this before? Alternatively, does anyone have an Express Service Code or order/invoice number for a 2005FPW (A02, specifically, though I don't think it matters) that I could use? It might affect your ability to get warranty service if need be in the future, but it'd be really nice!

Any other advice?

Thanks much!

Matt

2. thedonga macrumors member

doesn't you monitor have a serial number on it

3. Silentwave macrumors 68000

The OP already Said that a Serial number will NOT do.

4. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Have you tried explaining the situation to Dell? Perhaps they could recommend a different route, if there is one, or some other way for you to prove you're within warranty.

I know Dell isn't exactly known for their customer support, though, so barring that, the only thing I can think of would be to at least try contacting the eBay seller and see if they can help. I think you're right, though, that they probably won't be able to, but I guess it's worth a shot, especially if the other avenues don't seem to be panning out..

5. Sacerdotalist thread starter macrumors newbie

I did spend quite a while on the phone with a CS rep., and, while very nice, she was very firm in what information she needed. Not sure if it was simply protocol or whether their CS software simply won't advance without those very specific inputs, but, either way, no budging. I may try back again later for the hell of it, and maybe see if I can talk to someone higher up the ladder, but I'm not sure if that'll work.

Sure makes Dell look bad yet again, especially compared to my last few tech exchange experiences. Walking into an Apple store with a broken iPod seems to be enough proof that you've actually got a broken iPod (imagine that! Not so with Dell...), and Canon and Plantronics have been really good too.

Grr..

Anyway, thanks for the responses so far!

6. wako macrumors 65816

they are definitely known for their customer support... but who said being known always had to be a good thing ;)

7. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

haha, point taken!