Dell 24" 2405fpw or used Acer 2032WD 20" widescreen monitor?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by 1nsanity, Aug 26, 2005.

1. 1nsanity macrumors regular

So i now want a second monitor for my 15" powerbook.

I might not have my powerbook long since I will ge ta brand new laptop from my employer. Anyway that said no matter what happens, selling the powerbook or buying a powermac I'll want a monitor.

Ok so I live in Canada and I don't get 500$ coupons on Dell monitors!
    But this week its on sale at a crazy 10% off......

With tax and free shipping its 1450$ CND tax included (1218 US$)

I could also get my hands on a sligthy used 20" widescreen Acer LCD for 525$CND (440 US$).

Althought I have the money for either one of them, I don't need the hdtv connectivity since I already have a tv with it. Althought the dell has a 1920x1200 resolution while the Acer has 1680x1050 is the Dell really worth the 900+ cnd $ price difference?

thx

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

$900cdn is A LOT of money...money that could probably be better spent elsewhere. I don't know about the quality of the picture on the Acer, and that would be important to investigate, especially with a used monitor, but I would probably go in that direction and either pocket the extra money or find something else that you need to spend it on. I've got two of the Dell 20" monitors and I love them to death, but I think in this case, the 24" probably isn't worth it, especially as a second monitor.

3. supergod macrumors 6502

Why don't you just get the Dell 2005fpw? It's 20 inches and has better on paper specs than that acer in a number of categories. Plus it is on sale frequently in Canada. I was able to get mine for significantly below the sticker price.

4. 1nsanity thread starter macrumors regular

About the Acer monitor I can text it with my powerbook before buying it so its not that bad.

As for the dell 20" going on sale in Canada I have been looking for the past 6-8 weeks and beside a 50$ off I haven't seen anything...

Thx I'll keep looking over the monitors...

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

how about you take a road trip to the us and get a 2405fpw their.

6. 1nsanity thread starter macrumors regular

hahah but the cost of travelling there would not get me to save $$ plus I don't have a shipping adress there.

I almost feel like geting the 20 inch and seeing if Dell will release a 30 inch monitor !

7. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    I have heard through the grapevine that someone once upon a time bought a PB realized the taxes on it were outragous and therefore had the book sent to their parents in the state of DE(which saved them around $150). Now as a canadian citizen I don't think you should do this because i believe it is unlawful and illegal but you could probably have a friend buy it on their CC in the US have it mailed to them and then they could mail it rather slowly but safely and insure the hell out of it to your place in Canada. I don't advise this though because it is illegal.

8. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

here in texas, we have a saying. "Bigger is better"
    i have a 12" PB and the 20" dell. going from using only the PB to using the PB on the 20" monitor was incredible. i couldnt imagine how cool a 24" monitor would be!!!! especially if it has HD capabilities. the 20" dell isnt HD compatable and im guessing the Acer is the same. if you have the money, then go for it. but as a college student im all about saving money, thats why i had to go with the 20" dell instead of larger. so if you can really spare the money the get the 24"!!