Dell 24" HD - 16:10 is that OK?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by gabt, Jun 24, 2005.

1. gabt macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm seriously considering buying a Dell 24" - it's bigger, has more ports, portrait mode, and cheaper. However, I just noticed that it was 16:10; can anybody tell me if it would scale a widescreen image, or letterbox it on the side with black bars?

I'm concerned about this mainly for video work. If I shoot and edit something 16:9, would the display stretch it to 16:10 (thus cropping the sides of the image) or would it display it properly.

Any answers would be appreciated, as well as advice from people who own this display...

Thanks,

Gab

2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I know that when I play 16:9 DVDs on my 16:10 display, there are black bars on the top and bottom.

3. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

It won't stretch it. There will be extra room. Besides, you probably need a little bit of space down there for the dock.

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Since a 16:10 image is not as "widescreen" as 16:9, as Capt Underpants has said, if you preserve the aspect ratio with no scaling or cropping, you will get black bars on the top and bottom and not on the sides.

5. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

It wont stretch unless you told it to, besides, it doen't matter if you edit on a 4:3 disply, i'd be the same. As long a the end viewer has his/her display with the appropriate viewing ratio. Also, why would it matter what aspect ratio the display is that your working on? Unless you'd be editing and watching the end product on the same screen all the time....

6. gabt thread starter macrumors newbie

Wouldn't black bars on the side be favorable if you were working in 4:3 or if you had to get a true 16:9 image when editing video?

Also, anybody have any experience watching DVDs on this display (from the computer drive, not a DVD player)?

Thanks everybody,

Gab

7. _DsK_ macrumors newbie

Here is what a 16:9 movie looks like on the display:

[​IMG]

Matrix Reloaded, a 2.40:1 movie on the screen:

[​IMG]

8. Tamer Brad macrumors regular

9. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

It's very easy to get spoiled rotten watching video content on one of these displays, especially with surround sound.

One thing I have noticed is that the resolution is SO crisp that sometimes you'll see faults in older video content that you would never notice on an inferior display.

10. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

16:10 is much better than 4:3 for video work, especially if you deal with HD video. 16:10 means that you have much more space on the sides of the screen and just a little less on the top and bottom (example - 17 inch 4:3 has 1280x960 resolution while 16:10 has 1440x900)

11. gabt thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help everyone

DsK those pictures are amazing!! You rock!

I think I'm sold!

Gab